WHAT ARE TRANSITION PROGRAMS?
All students go through transitions in their educational careers, from moving up a grade, to moving to a different school. Schools need to provide transition programming to improve school goals by supporting youth development and reducing dropout rates. Comprehensive transition programming includes providing social and academic support for students in new grades or new schools through counseling and mentoring, family outreach, community engagement, and by providing post-secondary and workplace readiness programming and training for educators and youth to help further support students in periods of transition.
WHY FOCUS ON TRANSITION PROGRAMS?
How schools and educators help students navigate transitions can mean the difference between success and failure. Periods of transition can serve as opportunities to help students problem solve and promote social, emotional, and academic development or exacerbate students’ struggles.
Highly mobile students like homeless youth, migrant students and youth in foster care struggle the most with transition. In Colorado student mobility rates have increase significantly. Research also shows that highly mobile students are more likely to fall behind academically and have higher dropout rates as they transition from school to school.
Ninth grade transition are incredibly significant because freshmen frequently demonstrate a decline in academic achievement and attendance. More students fail ninth grade than any other grade in high school. Preventing student failure can lead to a reduction of dropout rates and an increase in graduation rates for students graduating. It is crucial for teachers, counselors, administrators, and families to assist middle school students with successfully preparing to transition to high school through outreach like academic support, mentoring, and post-secondary and workplace readiness programming.
- CDE District to District Student Transfers and Transitions
- CDE Guide for College Transition Specialists
- CDE Guide for Workforce Transition Specialists
- CDE Transition Planning Toolkit for Special Needs Students
- Colorado State Postsecondary and Workforce Readiness (PWR) Plan
- Colorado Community College System, Career and Technical Education (CTE)
- My Future, My Way! A Workbook for Middle School Students
- Reach Your Peak Colorado
- National Center for Homeless Education: Highly Mobile Students: Addressing Educational Challenges