You are here
Nita M. Lowey 21st Century Community Learning Centers
CDE Pausing 21st Century Community Learning Centers Competitive Grant Competition Until Spring 2021
In order to support districts' and organizations’ focus on the current health situation, CDE is pausing the new, Cohort IX, 21st CCLC competitive grant program application and subsequent grant review process. The Cohort IX competition will be relaunched in Spring 2021 to fund programs starting July 1, 2021. For questions, please contact Kim Burnham or Dana Scott.
Notice of Public Comment
The U.S. Department of Education is providing states with program flexibilities to meet the needs of students and educators during the COVID-19 national emergency. Currently, the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965, Section 4201(b)(1)(A) restricts activities provided by a program funded under the Nita M. Lowey 21st Century Community Learning Centers program (21st CCLC) to activities provided only during non-school hours or periods when school is not in session (such as before and after school or during summer recess).
The Colorado Department of Education is applying for this waiver, which will advance student academic achievement by authorizing academic enrichment activities and other allowable 21st CCLC activities during times when school is in session. This includes when students are not physically present in school but are participating in remote or independent learning due to disruptions caused by COVID-19.
The Colorado Department of Education is providing LEAs, educational partners and community members in the state with this public notice and an opportunity to comment on this waiver. Comments are due via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday, September 30, 2020.
Program Overview - 21st CCLC Fact Sheet (PDF)
The Nita M. Lowey 21st Century Community Learning Centers (21st CCLC) competitive grant program is authorized under Title IV, Part B, of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), as amended by the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) of 2015. The purpose of this important program is to to establish or expand community learning centers that:
- Provide opportunities for academic enrichment, including providing tutorial services to help students (particularly students in high-poverty areas and those who attend low-performing schools) meet state and local student performance standards in core academic subjects such as reading, writing, and mathematics;
- Offer students a broad array of additional services, programs, and activities, such as youth development activities, service learning, nutrition and health education, drug and violence prevention programs, counseling programs, arts, music, physical fitness and wellness programs, technology education programs, financial literacy programs, environmental literacy programs, mathematics, science, career and technical programs, internship or apprenticeship programs, and other ties to an in-demand industry sector or occupation for high school students that are designed to reinforce and complement the regular academic program of participating students; and
- Offer families of students served by community learning centers opportunities for active and meaningful engagement in their children’s education, including opportunities for literacy and related educational development.
21st CCLC Cohort VIII Subgrantees Awarded July 1, 2018!
The new Cohort of 21st CCLC Subgrantees began on July 1, 2018. Cohort VIII represents 40 organizations (school districts, community based organizations, and institutions of higher education), serving 68 centers/schools. They represent a broad spectrum of various organizations, regions of Colorado, student populations, and urban/suburban/rural areas.
21st CCLC Funded Subgrantees
- 21st CCLC Cohort VII with Program Contact Information (PDF)
- 21st CCLC Cohort VIII with Program Contact Information (PDF)
Previously Funded - 21st CCLC Cohorts I - VI (Sortable Excel)
Dana Scott - 21st CCLC State Coordinator
Scott_D@cde.state.co.us | (303) 866-6791
Cody Buchanan - 21st CCLC Lead Consultant
Buchanan_C@cde.state.co.us | (303) 866-6861
Anna Young - 21st CCLC Lead Consultant
Young_A@cde.state.co.us | (303) 866-6488
Delaney McGinn - 21st CCLC Program Assistant
McGinn_D@cde.state.co.us | (303) 866-6679