You are here
CDE Data Requests
The Colorado Department of Education (CDE) publicly reports data in a number of topic areas. Please see below a list of CDE pages with publicly available reports, by topic area.
Data which is not publicly available may be requested by following the process delineated below.
Non-PII Data Requests
For data that does not include Personally Identifiable Information (PII), please fill out the Non-PII Data Request Form. Non-PII data is generally data reported at the school, district, or state level and which includes student counts of 16 or above and school and district employee counts of 5 or above. Please note that CDE will suppress data with student counts of less than 16 and employee counts of less than 5 on all data provided in response to requests. This is to ensure student and employee privacy is maintained.
PII Data Requests
CDE is often asked to provide data about individual students or school district employees. CDE is restricted by federal and state law from providing individual-level data except under very specific circumstances. All requests for individual-level data will be thoroughly reviewed for alignment with those laws and CDE’s PII Protection Policy:
- PII requests from other Colorado state agencies and requests related to CDE-initiated research will be reviewed monthly.
- External research requests for individual-level educator and student data, including research requests from other Colorado state agencies, will be reviewed quarterly. The review processes for external research requests are as follows:
- Student data: External research requests for individual-level student data will be reviewed according to the process explained in this PowerPoint. Per Colorado’s Student Data Transparency and Security Act (C.R.S. 22-16-101 et.al), this process was approved by the State Board of Education on September 14, 2016.
- Educator data: External research requests for individual-level educator data will be reviewed to determine:
- Appropriate privacy considerations for the requested data. The combination of data elements requested, along with the data elements that are already publicly available, determines what privacy considerations are needed.
- Availability of CDE resources for providing the requested data.
- Alignment with Key Initiatives from CDE’s Strategic Plan.
To begin the PII data request process:
- Review the Research Data Sharing Agreement Template (Doc). All requestors must be able to comply with our requirements.
- Please submit the PII Data Request Form.
Notes for PII Data Requests:
- The PII Data Request review process is extensive and can take upwards of 6 months.
- CDE does not approve every request for PII that will be used for research purposes. As a result, we recommend that requestors not make any commitments to use CDE data prior to getting approval through this process.
- CDE can no longer provide student names for any research request.
Submitting Data Requests
Please submit completed data request forms to the Data Request Coordinator, Kathryn Wright, at DataRequests@cde.state.co.us. Kathryn is also available at 303-866-3903 to answer questions about which form to complete or the data request process.
NOTE: This data request process is NOT an open records request. Open record requests begin with CDE's Communications Division.
Commonly requested data available on CDE’s website:
Assessment Data (Grades 3 – 12)
- CMAS – English Language Arts, Spanish Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies results
- CoAlt – English Language Arts and Math results. Data is reported at the state level only due to privacy restrictions
- CoAlt – Science and Social Studies results . Data is reported at the state level only due to privacy restrictions
- PSAT results
- SAT results
- Data Lab – You can use this tool to query the state’s achievement data for the CMAS, CoAlt, PSAT, and SAT assessments as well as academic growth data. Growth data is also available through the Accountability resources listed below.
- Performance Snapshots - The Performance Snapshot provides an overview of key elements from the most recent District and School Performance Framework Reports and Unified Improvement Plans. This report is primarily designed for users with existing knowledge of the performance frameworks and improvement planning process, but provides a significant amount of explanatory information that may make it accessible to broader audiences. Use this tool to access reports for individual districts and schools.
- Performance Framework Reports and Unified Improvement Plans - District and School Performance Frameworks are used to determine performance ratings under the state accountability system. Unified Improvement Plans document the strategies that districts and schools implement as part of the continuous improvement cycle. Go here to access reports for individual districts and schools in PDF format. Reports for the current year and for prior years going back to 2010 are available.
- School and District Dashboards - The Dashboards are made up of a suite of reports that have been designed to support improvement planning efforts by districts and schools. The dashboards allow users to interact with graphs and tables showing demographic information along with performance data and ratings generated under the state accountability system. Use this online tool to view current information for individual schools and districts along with several years of historical data
- Colorado Growth Model Reports - Growth model reports provide access to Academic Growth metrics related to the CMAS English Language Arts & Math and Colorado PSAT/SAT assessments. The reports present metrics for a variety of grade levels and student groups and enable comparisons between schools and districts across the state. Users can access reports for individual schools and districts in PDF format, or explore results through an interactive reporting interface.
- State Accountability Data Explorer - Go here to access a repository of files containing performance framework information for all schools and districts in the state. Files include spreadsheets with current and historical performance framework results, along with copies of PowerPoint presentations and other reports presented to the State Board of Education.
- State Accountability Data Files - Go here to access a repository of files containing performance framework information for all schools and districts in the state. Files include spreadsheets with current and historical performance framework results, along with copies of PowerPoint presentations and other reports presented to the State Board of Education.
- Attendance data
- Dropout data
- Graduation and Completion data
- Mobility and stability data
- Pupil membership (i.e. pupil counts)
- Includes data broken out by sub-group, including gender, race/ethnicity, and instructional program (e.g., Free and Reduced Lunch eligibility, English Language Learner status, etc.)
- School and district staff data
- Includes average salary data, turnover rates, teacher counts, and student/teacher ratios
- Suspension and Expulsion data
*Please note that for the pages listed above, additional years of data may be posted on a separate page which can be accessed from the right-hand navigation menu
- A list of all Colorado Schools (XLS)
- A list of all Colorado School Districts (XLS)
- School district maps
- Credential Rosters – You can use this tool to generate rosters of publically available information based on license and authorization type.
- Educator effectiveness data - Found on our Data Center. Click on the Staff Tab.
- Educator Lookup – You can use this tool to look up credential information by name or credential number.
- Educator Preparation Programs Report including educator preparation pipeline data and connecting teacher outcomes to their Colorado preparation program
- Educator Shortage Survey results
- Also see school and district staff data listed in the Colorado Education Statistics section above
- The page above includes federally mandated reports as well as reporting, such as program evaluations, on various federal programs.
- ESSA State Report
- ESSA School and District Reports
- Consolidated State Performance Report (CSPR) submitted to the U.S. Department of Education pertaining to various programs funded by the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA)
- Program Evaluations
- Schools identified for support and improvement under the Every Student Succeeds Act
- List of Title I Schools in the State
- Colorado Preschool Program (CPP)
- Preschool special education outcomes (OSEP Indicator B7)
- CAP4K/Kindergarten School Readiness legislative report
- READ Act Dashboard - An interactive data tool to explore READ Act assessment results.
- READ Act legislative reports
School Finance Data
- Financial Transparency - You can use this tool to explore revenue and expenditure information for each school, district, and BOCES throughout Colorado.
- School District Revenues and Expenditures – These annual reports have revenues and expenditures data for school districts, charter school collaborative, and Boards of Cooperative Services (BOCES).
- The page above includes Special Education data provided at the state level as well as some data at the Administrative Unit level. All counts of 16 or less have been suppressed to protect student privacy.