CDE will be closed on Friday, July 3 for the Independence Day holiday.
You are here
Moving from an Initial License to a Professional License
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is an approved induction program?
It is a program provided by Colorado school districts or BOCES and includes supervision by mentor teachers, ongoing professional development, ethics training, and performance evaluations. A school's principal or the district's personnel/human resources office can provide more information about their particular induction program.
2. What are the requirements for a professional license?
You must complete a Colorado State Board of Education-approved induction program and complete and submit and "Initial to Professional" online application.
3. What am I required to submit as proof of completion of an induction program?
You will be required to upload a copy of the original certificate of completion of a Colorado approved induction program into your eLicense application.
4. Can I complete an induction program in another state?
No, the induction program must be approved by the Colorado State Board of Education and completed through an approved Colorado Induction Program.
5. I hold an Interim Authorization and have completed an induction program. Can I apply for the professional license now?
Depending on your experience and qualifications, an induction program completed while holding an Interim Authorization may apply toward fulfilling the requirements of a professional license. However, you must first have met all of the requirements, including compliance with CRS 22-60.5-201 (1) (c). This states that "the department of education may, in its discretion, issue a professional teacher license to any applicant who: Holds a valid initial teacher license." This means you may apply for the professional license after you have applied for and received your initial license first as well as meeting all other professional license criteria.
6. For how long is a professional license valid?
A professional license is valid for five years.
7. Will all my endorsements transfer from my initial license to my professional license?
Provided you meet current requirements for each of your endorsements, they will transfer to the professional license.
8. For teachers only: I hold a certificate issued by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards. Am I required to complete an induction program?
Perhaps. Please contact your school district and inquire as to whether or not they will require you to complete induction. If not, please request an official statement that indicates they are waiving this requirement; then include that statement, along with your valid national board certificate, in the “induction certificate” upload portion of the application.