Moving from an Initial License to a Professional License
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is an approved induction program?
It is a program provided by Colorado school districts, private schools, charter schools, BOCES or approved facilities and includes supervision by mentor teachers, ongoing professional development, ethics training, and performance evaluations. A school's principal or the district's personnel/human resources office can provide more information about their particular induction program.
2. What are the requirements for a professional license?
You must complete a Colorado State Board of Education-approved induction program and complete and submit and "Initial to Professional" online application.
3. What am I required to submit as proof of completion of an induction program?
You will be required to upload a copy of the original certificate of completion of a Colorado approved induction program into your eLicense application.
4. Can I complete an induction program in another state?
No, the induction program must be approved by the Colorado State Board of Education and completed through an approved Colorado school district, BOCES, private school, charter school, or facility.
5. I hold an Interim Authorization and have completed an induction program. Can I apply for the professional license now?
Depending on your experience and qualifications, an induction programs completed while holding an Interim Authorization may apply toward fulfilling the requirements of a professional license. Once you have met all of the requirements, you may apply for the professional license.
6. For how long is a professional license valid?
A professional license is valid for five years.
7. Will all my endorsements transfer from my initial license to my professional license?
Provided you meet current requirements for each of your endorsements, they will transfer to the professional license.
8. I hold a certificate issued by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards. Am I required to complete an induction program?
No, you are exempt from the induction program. Upload a copy of your NBPTS certificate into your eLicense application in the section regarding the induction certificate upload.
For technical problems with this page please contact the Web Content Coordinator