- 2015 Colorado Teen Video Challenge Winner and Honorable Mentions
Check out the winning video and 5 honorable mentions from this year's Teen Video Challenge.
- Serving Teens in Poverty Presentation materials
View slides and handout from this session at the 2015 CATS Winter Workshop.
- Baby and Toddler Storytime Kits Available for Check Out!
Check out (literally!) our new Baby and Toddler Storytime Kits for your library! Discover all the details at the link above.
- SPELL --Supporting Parents in Early Literacy through Libraries--is a project funded by a National Leadership Grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services. Check out the project's progress at its website, including archived materials from the project's two webinars and the blueprint of recommendations.
Summer Reading Program
- Colorado Statewide Summer Reading Program
The Colorado State Library provides high-quality summer reading materials, mini-grants, and training to public libraries across the state.
- Impact of Summer Reading Programs in Colorado Libraries (PDF)
Findings from academic studies that prove that SRPs improve student reading & achievement. A summary of figures from programs in Colorado libraries.
- Collaborative Summer Library Program (CSLP)
The Colorado State Library is a member of this grassroots consortium of states working to provide high-quality summer reading program materials for children at a low cost to public libraries.
- Professional Development from the Colorado State Library
The Colorado State Library offers professional development opportunities and promotes other offerings.
- Colorado Library Consortium (CLiC)
CLiC offers a variety of workshops and online training for CO libraries.
- Online Training Opportunities
Here are some ideas for ways to keep up with professional development with limited funds.
Support for K-12 Students
- K-12 Student Achievement Resources
Prepared by the Colorado State Publications Library.
National Youth Services Groups
- Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC)
Dedicated to the support and enhancement of library service to children.
- Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA)
A division of the American Library Association offering online courses on a wealth of subjects for librarians including a number of tech-specific courses.
Programming Ideas, Resources, & Funding
- 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten
A flexible program that promotes early literacy.
- STEAM in Libraries
Ideas for & examples of STEAM (Science, Tech, Engineering, Arts, Math) in public libraries
- Performer List (XLS)
Recommendations from CO public library staff who have used these performers in the past. To add to the list, email Ashley Kazyaka.
- Services for Homeschoolers
Ideas & resources for public libraries to provide services to Colorado’s large homeschooling population.
- Promotional Campaigns
State and national campaigns that encourage children and teens to read and use the library.
- Public Performance Rights for Films
This brief introduction explains basic copyright issues involved when showing films in a library.
- Funding Resources for Youth Services
Budgets are tight for libraries statewide, and nationwide. These are ideas and sources for grants, in-kind contributions, and more.
Email Lists for Youth Services
- Colorado Youth Services email list (CYS-Lib)
For all youth service librarians working with children in Colorado in public libraries. School librarians are also welcome.
- Colorado Young Adult Advocates in Libraries (C'YAAL)
A group of professional library staff who meet quarterly to share resources such as summer reading materials, programs, training.
- Colorado's Programming Librarians (CoProLib)
For Colorado library staff to exchange info on adult, teen and children's programming. Primary focus is public libraries, but staff from other types of libraries are welcome.
- National Email Lists
National email lists with a focus on youth services from infants through teens.
- One Book 4 Colorado
An annual statewide book giveaway to instill a love of reading in every Colorao 4-year-old
A collection of 30 to 60-second videos modeling to parents, caregivers & library staff songs, rhymes & fingerplays for early childhood.
- Colorado Libraries for Early Literacy (CLEL)
Passionately committed to strengthening children's literacy through library services and community advocacy
- Colorado Early Childhood Councils
Bringing partners together to coordinate, increase & improve the education, health & parenting resources available to young children & their families.
- Early Childhood Colorado
Your gateway to services for young children and their families, and the professionals who serve them. Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Kindergarten Readiness Brochure (ages 4-5)
What children should know to function well in kindergarten, tips for parents & caregivers. English and Spanish.
- Reading Tips for Parents Brochure (ages 0-6)
How to read to children and set an atmosphere for reading activities. English & Spanish.
- Every Child Ready to Read (ECRR)
A parent education initiative stressing that early literacy begins with the primary adults in a child's life. The ECRR toolkit empowers public libraries to assume an essential role in supporting early literacy.
- Early Literacy Online Resource Guide (PDF)
Vivienne Houghton, DU Fellow, developed this guide.
- Early Literacy Skills: Getting Ready to Read, From Birth to Age 2 (PDF)
Presentation at the 2011 Fall Youth Services Workshop by Becky Campbell, Pikes Peak Library District
- Storytimes for Children on the Autism Spectrum
Resources stemming from a March 2013 webinar from CO Department of Education, Denver Public Library, and CO State Library.
- Teen Tech Week (TTW) Resources: Check out these TTW resources and ideas from Catherine Boddie, an MLIS student at University of Denver doing her practicum at the CO State Library:
- Gaming Program Pack (PDF) JUST UPDATED!
This guide, updated in 2014, outlines how and why to start a teen gaming program in your library. Just updated by Catherine Boddie!
- Colorado Young Adult Advocates in Libraries (C'YAAL)
A group of professional library staff who meet quarterly to share resources such as summer reading materials, programs, and training.
- Colorado Blue Spruce Award
Recognizes the most popular books among middle and high school students in Colorado. Teens nominate and select the winners.
- Colorado Teen Literature Conference
This annual event promotes and celebrates teen literature.
- Teen Advisory Groups
Teen Advisory Groups (TAGs) can benefit teens in your community as well as your library.
- Teen Read Week
Get ideas for the 2012 Teen Read Week from librarians across the country from this CSL in Session Webinar.
Reading and Literacy
- Children & Libraries en Español (CHILES)
Provides resources, ideas, and support to non-Spanish-speaking children's librarians who serve Spanish-speaking children.
- Children's Literacy Initiatives
A variety of statewide activities and involvement to spotlight library services in support of children's literacy.
- Colorado Council of the International Reading Association (CCIRA)
A professional organization of educators and community members dedicated to the promotion and advancement of literacy.
"YS News" Newsletter
Features articles on learning development, summer reading updates, timely tidbits like grant opportunities & interesting resources, children's & teen literature news & info on what's going on in CO libraries.
- Volume 3, Issue 9 - October 2014 (PDF)
STEM in Action: Dr. Susan Longest
- Volume 3, Issue 8 - August 2014 (PDF)
STEM in Action: Emily Wild
- Volume 3, Issue 7 - July 2014 (PDF)
STEM in Action: Dr. Paul Dusenbery and Anne Holland
- Volume 3, Issue 6 - June 2014 (PDF)
STEM in Action: Renee Guerrero
- Volume 3, Issue 5 - May 2014 (PDF)
- Volume 3, Issue 4 - April 2014 (PDF)
STEM in Action: Dr. Gigi Richard
- Volume 3, Issue 3 - March 2014 (PDF)
STEM in Action: Sara Volz
- Volume 3, Issue 2 - Februrary 2014 (PDF)
STEM in Action: Drs. Kamini Singha and Sarah Jayne Hitt
- Volume 3, Issue 1 - January 2014 (PDF)
STEM in Action: Dr. Scott Sampson
- Volume 2, Issue 12 - December 2013 (PDF)
Teen Zone, part 6
- Volume 2, Issue 11 - November 2013 (PDF)
Teen Zone, part 5
- Volume 2, Issue 10 - October 2013 (PDF)
Teen Zone, part 4
- Volume 2, Issue 9 - September 2013 (PDF)
Teen Zone, part 3
- Volume 2, Issue 8 - August 2013 (PDF)
Teen Zone, part 2
- Volume 2, Issue 7 - July 2013 (PDF)
Teen Zone, part 1
For older issues of the YS Newsletter, please go to the Newsletter Archive.
If you have topic suggestions or want to write an article or share info about your programs, email Beth Crist.
What does Beth do?
As the Youth & Family Services Consultant, Beth provides consulting and training on child development, library programming and activities as well as public/school library collaboration.
She supports children, teens and families by coordinating statewide initiatives for early literacy, summer reading and other campaigns.
Return to: Library Development Services