- The theme for the 2018 summer learning program is music, with the same slogan for all ages: Libraries Rock!
- Join us for one of the 4 Fall Youth Services Workshops around the state! Learn more and register at http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/3841130/Fall-YS-Workshops-2017. They're free!
- Removing Barriers to Access: Eliminating Fines and Fees on Library Materials
This white paper, from the Colorado State Library, details research on why eliminating fines and fees, especially on children's materials, provides greater access to library materials for all residents--and how this results in little to no negative financial effect.
- SPELL --Supporting Parents in Early Literacy through Libraries--was a project funded by a National Leadership Grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services. Learn about the project at its website, including the blueprint of recommendations, and find the project's research tools here.
- Baby and Toddler Storytime Kits Available for Check Out!
Check out (literally!) our new Baby and Toddler Storytime Kits for your library! Discover all the details at the link above.
Reading Tips for Parents Brochure (ages 0-6)
This brochure provides tips and activity ideas to help parents and caregivers prepare young children to be ready to read in kindergarten, and how to set a positive atmosphere for reading activities.
Order online in bulk, or print English (PDF) & Spanish (PDF)
Youth Services Campaigns/Events
- Colorado Statewide Summer Learning Program
The Colorado State Library provides high-quality summer learning resources and training to public library staff across the state.
- One Book 4 Colorado (OB4CO)
An annual statewide book giveaway to instill a love of reading in every Colorado 4-year-old.
- 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten
A flexible program that encourages parents and caregivers to read at least 1000 books to their children before they reach kindergarten.
- Teen Tech Week (TTW):
- Colorado Blue Spruce Award
Recognizes the most popular books among middle and high school students in Colorado. Teens nominate and select the winners.
- Colorado Teen Literature Conference
This annual event promotes and celebrates teen literature.
Literacy Promotion Resources
- Continuing Education from the Colorado State Library
The Colorado State Library offers professional development opportunities and promotes other offerings.
- One Book 4 Colorado Toolkit
Resources for library staff for use in promoting OB4CO
A collection of 30 to 60-second videos modeling to parents, caregivers & library staff songs, rhymes & fingerplays for early childhood.
- STEAM in Libraries
Ideas for & examples of STEAM (Science, Tech, Engineering, Arts, Math) in public libraries
- Early Childhood Colorado
Your gateway to services for young children and their families, and the professionals who serve them.
- Every Child Ready to Read (ECRR) Toolkit
A parent education initiative stressing that early literacy begins with the primary adults in a child's life. The ECRR toolkit empowers public libraries to assume an essential role in supporting early literacy.
- Colorado Authors Posters
Downloadable posters featuring the names of prominent Colorado authors (PDF) and Children's book authors (PDF).
Youth Services Groups
- Colorado Libraries for Early Literacy (CLEL)
Passionately committed to strengthening children's literacy through library services and community advocacy
- Children and Teen Services Division of the Colorado Association of Libraries (CATS)
A forum for all library staff who serve children and teens to share ideas while working together to fill the need of consistently providing excellent services to patrons from birth to 18 and their caregivers throughout the state of Colorado.
- Children & Libraries en Español (CHILES)
Provides resources, ideas, and support to non-Spanish-speaking children's librarians who serve Spanish-speaking children.
- Colorado Council of the International Reading Association (CCIRA)
A professional organization of educators and community members dedicated to the promotion and advancement of literacy.
Colorado-based Email Lists
- Colorado Youth Services email list (CYS-Lib)
For all youth service librarians working with children in Colorado in public libraries. School librarians are also welcome.
- Colorado Young Adult Advocates in Libraries (C'YAAL)
A group of professional library staff who meet quarterly to share resources such as summer reading materials, programs, training.
- Colorado's Programming Librarians (CoProLib)
For Colorado library staff to exchange info on adult, teen and children's programming. Primary focus is public libraries, but staff from other types of libraries are welcome.
- Colorado Youth Services email list (CYS-Lib)
What does Beth do?
As the Youth & Family Services Consultant, Beth provides consulting and training on child development, library programming and activities, outreach services, and community collaborations. She supports children, teens and families by coordinating statewide initiatives for early literacy, summer learning, outdoor experiences, and other campaigns.