Summer Reading Program
- One Book 4 Colorado
An annual statewide book giveaway to instill a love of reading in every Colorao 4-year-old
A collection of 30 to 60-second videos modeling to parents, caregivers & library staff songs, rhymes & fingerplays for early childhood.
- Colorado Libraries for Early Literacy (CLEL)
Passionately committed to strengthening children's literacy through library services and community advocacy
- Colorado Early Childhood Councils
Bringing partners together to coordinate, increase & improve the education, health & parenting resources available to young children & their families.
- Early Childhood Colorado
Your gateway to services for young children and their families, and the professionals who serve them. Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Kindergarten Readiness Brochure (ages 4-5)
What children should know to function well in kindergarten, tips for parents & caregivers. English and Spanish.
- Reading Tips for Parents Brochure (ages 0-6)
How to read to children and set an atmosphere for reading activities. English & Spanish.
- Every Child Ready to Read (ECRR)
A parent education initiative stressing that early literacy begins with the primary adults in a child's life. The ECRR toolkit empowers public libraries to assume an essential role in supporting early literacy.
- Early Literacy Online Resource Guide (PDF)
Vivienne Houghton, DU Fellow, developed this guide.
- Early Literacy Skills: Getting Ready to Read, From Birth to Age 2 (PDF)
Presentation at the 2011 Fall Youth Services Workshop by Becky Campbell, Pikes Peak Library District
- Storytimes for Children on the Autism Spectrum
Resources stemming from a March 2013 webinar from CO Department of Education, Denver Public Library, and CO State Library.
Support for K-12 Students
Colorado's virtual librarian service, available 24/7 in English and Spanish. Chat online in real time with an information expert.
- K-12 Student Achievement Resources
Prepared by the Colorado State Publications Library.
- Teen Tech Week (TTW) Resources: Check out these TTW resources and ideas from Catherine Boddie, an MLIS student at University of Denver doing her practicum at the CO State Library:
- Gaming Program Pack (PDF) JUST UPDATED!
This guide, updated in 2014, outlines how and why to start a teen gaming program in your library. Just updated by Catherine Boddie!
- Colorado Young Adult Advocates in Libraries (C'YAAL)
A group of professional library staff who meet quarterly to share resources such as summer reading materials, programs, and training.
- Colorado Blue Spruce Award
Recognizes the most popular books among middle and high school students in Colorado. Teens nominate and select the winners.
- Colorado Teen Literature Conference
This annual event promotes and celebrates teen literature.
- Teen Advisory Groups
Teen Advisory Groups (TAGs) can benefit teens in your community as well as your library.
- Teen Read Week
Get ideas for the 2012 Teen Read Week from librarians across the country from this CSL in Session Webinar.
National Youth Services Groups
Programming Ideas, Resources, & Funding
"YS News" newsletter
Features articles on learning development, summer reading updates, timely tidbits like grant opportunities & interesting resources, children's & teen literature news & info on what's going on in CO libraries.
- Volume 3, Issue 6 - June 2014 (PDF)
STEM in Action: Renee Guerrero
- Volume 3, Issue 5 - May 2014 (PDF)
- Volume 3, Issue 4 - April 2014 (PDF)
STEM in Action: Dr. Gigi Richard
- Volume 3, Issue 3 - March 2014 (PDF)
STEM in Action: Sara Volz
- Volume 3, Issue 2 - Februrary 2014 (PDF)
STEM in Action: Drs. Kamini Singha and Sarah Jayne Hitt
- Volume 3, Issue 1 - January 2014 (PDF)
STEM in Action: Dr. Scott Sampson
- Volume 2, Issue 12 - December 2013 (PDF)
Teen Zone, part 6
- Volume 2, Issue 11 - November 2013 (PDF)
Teen Zone, part 5
- Volume 2, Issue 10 - October 2013 (PDF)
Teen Zone, part 4
- Volume 2, Issue 9 - September 2013 (PDF)
Teen Zone, part 3
- Volume 2, Issue 8 - August 2013 (PDF)
Teen Zone, part 2
- Volume 2, Issue 7 - July 2013 (PDF)
Teen Zone, part 1
For older issues of the YS Newsletter, please go to the Newsletter Archive.
If you have topic suggestions or want to write an article or share info about your programs, email Beth Crist.
Reading and Literacy
Email Lists for Youth Services