- SPELL --Supporting Parents in Early Literacy through Libraries--is a project funded by a National Leadership Grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services. Check out the project's progress at its website, including the blueprint of recommendations.
- Baby and Toddler Storytime Kits Available for Check Out!
Check out (literally!) our new Baby and Toddler Storytime Kits for your library! Discover all the details at the link above.
- Please submit your 2016 Summer Program Report by August 31
- Reading Tips for Parents Brochure (ages 0-6)
How to read to children and set an atmosphere for reading activities.
Order online, or print English (PDF) & Spanish (PDF)
Youth Services Campaigns/Events
- Colorado Statewide Summer Reading Program
The Colorado State Library provides high-quality summer reading materials, mini-grants, and training to public libraries across the state.
- One Book 4 Colorado (OB4CO)
An annual statewide book giveaway to instill a love of reading in every Colorado 4-year-old.
- 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten
A flexible program that encourages parents and caregivers to read at least 1000 books to their children before they reach kindergarten.
- Library Promotional Campaigns
State and national campaigns that you can use in your library.
- Teen Tech Week (TTW):
- Colorado Blue Spruce Award
Recognizes the most popular books among middle and high school students in Colorado. Teens nominate and select the winners.
- Colorado Teen Literature Conference
This annual event promotes and celebrates teen literature.
- Continuing Education from the Colorado State Library
The Colorado State Library offers professional development opportunities and promotes other offerings.
- One Book 4 Colorado Toolkit
Resources for library staff for use in promoting OB4CO
A collection of 30 to 60-second videos modeling to parents, caregivers & library staff songs, rhymes & fingerplays for early childhood.
- STEAM in Libraries
Ideas for & examples of STEAM (Science, Tech, Engineering, Arts, Math) in public libraries
- Early Childhood Colorado
Your gateway to services for young children and their families, and the professionals who serve them.
- Every Child Ready to Read (ECRR) Toolkit
A parent education initiative stressing that early literacy begins with the primary adults in a child's life. The ECRR toolkit empowers public libraries to assume an essential role in supporting early literacy.
Youth Services Groups
- Colorado Libraries for Early Literacy (CLEL)
Passionately committed to strengthening children's literacy through library services and community advocacy
- Children and Teen Services Division of the Colorado Association of Libraries (CATS)
A forum for all library staff who serve children and teens to share ideas while working together to fill the need of consistently providing excellent services to patrons from birth to 18 and their caregivers throughout the state of Colorado.
- Children & Libraries en Español (CHILES)
Provides resources, ideas, and support to non-Spanish-speaking children's librarians who serve Spanish-speaking children.
- Colorado Council of the International Reading Association (CCIRA)
A professional organization of educators and community members dedicated to the promotion and advancement of literacy.
Colorado-based Email Lists
- Colorado Youth Services email list (CYS-Lib)
For all youth service librarians working with children in Colorado in public libraries. School librarians are also welcome.
- Colorado Young Adult Advocates in Libraries (C'YAAL)
A group of professional library staff who meet quarterly to share resources such as summer reading materials, programs, training.
- Colorado's Programming Librarians (CoProLib)
For Colorado library staff to exchange info on adult, teen and children's programming. Primary focus is public libraries, but staff from other types of libraries are welcome.
- Colorado Youth Services email list (CYS-Lib)
- Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC)
Dedicated to the support and enhancement of library service to children.
- Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA)
A division of the American Library Association offering online courses on a wealth of subjects for librarians including a number of tech-specific courses.
- Collaborative Summer Library Program (CSLP)
The Colorado State Library is a member of this grassroots consortium of states working to provide high-quality summer reading program materials for children at a low cost to public libraries.
National Email Lists
ALSC hosts numerous national discussion forums; click on the link to see the complete list.
PUBYAC (PUBlic libraries, Young Adults, and Children) is an Internet discussion list concerned with the practical aspects of Children and Young Adult Services in Public Libraries, focusing on programming ideas, outreach and literacy programs, censorship and policy issues, collection development, job openings, professional development and other pertinent services and issues.
- YALSA Listservs
YALSA sponsors a large array of useful email lists focusing on library service to young adults.
Discussion of graphic novels and comic literature, primarily of interest to public and school librarians.
Discussion group on sharing booktalks and improving booktalking skills.
Adbooks’s purpose is to discuss books written for adolescents and young adults (YA). In addition to informally swapping recommendations and discussing topics related to books, reading, and teaching, subscribers read and discuss selected books together, and sponsor an annual book award, the JHunt.
STORYTELL, sponsored by the National Storytelling Network is a forum for discussion about storytelling
What does Beth do?
As the Youth & Family Services Consultant, Beth provides consulting and training on child development, library programming and activities as well as public/school library collaboration.
She supports children, teens and families by coordinating statewide initiatives for early literacy, summer reading and other campaigns.