The Highly Effective School Library Program provides lifelong learning opportunities while supporting all schools as they strive to improve student achievement and prepare students for 21st century success. The Highly Effective School Library Program also recognizes outstanding school librarians and library programs. We award the selected school librarian(s) and his or her principal with a banner and certificate annually at a Colorado State Board of Education meeting.
Highly Effective Recognition
The" Highly Effective School Library" Program consists of several components: access to an Evaluation Tool, a Professional Development component, and the Recognition Award.
- 2016 Highly Effective School Library Program (HESLP) Evaluation Rubric - The highly effective school library program rubric guides administrators and teacher librarians in sustaining and growing the school’s library program.
This rubric provides school librarians, teachers and principals a means for evaluating all aspects of a Highly Effective School Library Program. See 2-3 minute video clips embedded in 5 of the competencies.
- 2014/2015 HESL Recognition Application (PDF) Revised version expected May 2016
- Growth Plan (DOCX)
- Sample Teacher Librarian Growth Plan (PDF)
- Benefits of HESL Recognition (PDF)
- 2015 HESL Recognition Recipients (PDF)
- 2014 HESL Recognition Recipients (PDF)
- 2013 Recognition Recipients (PDF)
- 2012 HESL Recognition Recipients (PDF)
- Highly Effective School Library wiki - See great growth plans, best practice ideas, and more
Mission and Vision Statements
The mission of the Highly Effective School Library Program is to recognize outstanding school library programs while supporting all schools as they strive to improve student achievement and prepare students for 21st century success by using the Highly Effective model to improve their library program .
The vision of the Highly Effective School Library Program is that all schools have a certified teacher-librarian who uses the Highly Effective model for continuous improvement. Parents, students, administrators, and fellow educators understand that high levels of student achievement and 21st century success require an exemplary library program and are advocates for their school's library program.
For more information about the Highly Effective School Library Program, contact:
School Library / Digital Literacy Content Specialist