On December 10, 2015, the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), which reauthorizes the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), was signed into law. The passage of ESSA provides a much anticipated opportunity to improve achievement outcomes for all students by providing effective programs supported with Titles I, II, III, and IV funding.
Under the ESSA, state educational agencies (SEAs) are required to collect local education agency (LEA) plans that address the requirements of the law, as well as descriptions of the activities the LEA will implement with its Title I, II, III, and IV allocations. To meet this requirement, the Colorado Department of Education (CDE) has developed, with stakeholder input, a new consolidated application, which includes a set of five cross-program questions, organized around five core elements:
- A comprehensive needs assessment;
- Meaningful, ongoing consultation with parents, teachers and other community members;
- The identification of students in need of additional support;
- Delivery and progress monitoring of evidenced-based student supports; and
- Evaluation of programs and activities funded by the ESSA.
2017-2018 Consolidated Application
NOTE: We're currently working to complete the functionality to allow LEAs to "submit" their completed application. We will send out email notifications as soon as that function is available.
- Contact Us
For all Consolidated Application related questions or concerns
- ESEA Office District Contacts
ESEA Office district contacts by region
- Training Center
Training materials, general resources, ed-flex, carryover waiver, Non-Public Schools equitable services
- Grants Fiscal
NCLB allocations and fiscal files
- Needs Assessment
Tools that can be helpful to districts in identifying specific needs that can be used for developing their Consolidated Applications
- 2017-2018 Approval and Transmittal Form
- 2017-2018 BOCES/Consortium ARAC Form
- 2017-2018 ESEA General Assurances Form
- 2017-2018 Extension Request From
- 2016-2017 Consolidated Application
CDE has developed resources to assist LEAs in preparing for the 2017-18 consolidated application:
- 2017-2018 Consolidated Application Training Slides
- 2017-2018 Consolidated Application Questions and Assurances
- 2017-2018 Narrative Questions Response Guidance
- 2017-2018 Consolidated Application FAQ
- General Education Provisions Act (GEPA) Statement Guidance
- Consolidated Application manual (Coming Summer 2017)
- Virtual Consolidated Application Webinar
- BOCES Consolidated Application Webinar
The new law broadens the allowable uses of title funds and our goal is to help ensure that you understand all of the opportunities this funding affords your LEA. If you are interested in individualized support provided by the Office of ESEA Programs, or if any questions related to the consolidated application arise, please direct requests for support and questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
CDE is pleased to announce the 2017-2018 ESEA Consolidated Application is now open. The Application must be submitted to the Colorado Department of Education (CDE) by June 30, 2017. Substantial Approval will be given to LEAs that submit all required elements on or before June 30, 2017. Required elements include: LEA plan narrative responses (or a request for more to time to complete the response), assurances in the Consolidated Application and the ESEA General Assurances Form, balanced budget, BOCES/Consortium ARAC Form (if applicable), completed school profile section, and completed Approval and Transmittal signature form. LEAs that are unable to submit all required elements for Substantial Approval may request an extension to submit the Consolidated Application. Extension requests must be received by June 30, 2017 and substantial approval will not be granted until all required elements, as outlined above, are submitted to CDE
Training on basic program requirements has been provided through the ESEA Virtual Academy. Practitioners new to Federal programs or those in need of a refresher are encouraged to view the virtual work session recording(s) prior to attending the Consolidated Application trainings.
CDE understands that the Application has expanded from the transitional application provided in the 2016-17 application year. To support LEAs in meeting the new requirements of the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), CDE is hosting a variety of opportunities to assist LEAs as they develop their LEA plans. Supports include:
- Consolidated Application trainings, including an online session (you can find the recording here)
- BOCES and member district work sessions, as requested; and
- Individualized support for planning.
In addition to the planned supports, LEAs will have the opportunity to indicate, within the Application, the need for additional time to develop responses to the LEA plan questions. If the LEA elects to use this option, the completed Application plan questions must be submitted to CDE no later than September 30, 2017. Note: A request for extended time to complete the LEA plan narrative responses will not affect the LEA’s ability to receive substantial approval and therefore encumber funds.
CDE will review Consolidated Applications on a rolling basis, beginning in July. Please note, however, that CDE will not begin reviewing the LEA's Application until a complete Application is received. Complete Applications include all elements required for substantial approval, the non-public schools consultation form(s), the Native American Education Tribal Consultation (Yearly Affirmation) form, and complete responses to the LEA plan questions. LEAs must receive final approval of their application before they may receive reimbursement of their ESSA program expenditures.
If you are interested in individualized support provided by the Office of ESEA Programs, or if any questions related to the consolidated application arise, please direct requests for support and questions to email@example.com.
- Monday, May 15, 2017 - Pueblo
- Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - Greeley
- Thursday, May 18, 2017 - Rifle
- Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - Durango
- Thursday, May 25, 2017 - Denver
- Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - Alamosa
2016-2017 Consolidated Application
For Additional Information Contact:
send an email