You Have to Build the Plane as You Fly It! Core Components of an Evidenced Based Behavior Support Program (Part 2) (21-22 ASD Tri-State Webinar Series)
Audience: Advocates, Educators, Other District/School Staff, Parents | Topic: Autism, Special Education | Hosted by: Office of Special Education
About The Webinar
Presented by: Kaye Otten Ph.D.
Originally aired on: October 6, 2021
This four-part series will support teachers faced with the immense challenge of providing a free and appropriate public education to learners with a wide variety of needs that often manifest in significantly disruptive behavior. Each ninety-minute session will involve practitioners who have many years of combined experience developing and leading evidence-based behavior support programs across the state of Nebraska. Free resources and ongoing consultation for effective implementation will be provided.
Participants will have input on what topics will be covered during each meeting which can include but are not limited to:
- Scheduling for a variety of functioning levels
- Providing effective social, emotional, behavioral and academic skills instruction
- Layering reinforcement systems that mirror real life
- Responding to problem behavior in ways that teach missing and strengthen weak skills
- Conducting ongoing practical functional behavioral assessments that guide the development of effective individualized behavior support plans
- Preventing and intervening safely in crisis situations
- Developing strong teams
- Collaborating with general educators to provide a full continuum of services including program entrance and exit criteria and process and providing inclusion experiences
- Supporting and working with home caregivers and community service providers
- Making decisions based on data rather than emotions
This webinar is posted the Nebraska Autism Spectrum Disorders Network website.
- Part 2 - A You Have to Build the Plan as You Fly It! Core Components of an Evidenced Based Behavior Support Program
- This session will focus on Reinforcement Systems in Secondary Self Contained Settings
- Part 2 B - You Have to Build the Plane as You Fly It!: Core Components of an Evidence Based Behavior Support Program
- This session will focus on Reinforcement Systems for students in Functional Life skills Program-All Grades
- Part 2 C - You Have to Build the Plane as You Fly It!: Core Components of an Evidence Based Behavior Support Program
- This session will focus on Reinforcement Systems for Individuals in Alternate Curriculum Programs-All Grades
- Part 2 D - You Have to Build the Plane as You Fly It!: Core Components of an Evidence Based Behavior Support Program
About the Presenter
Kaye Otten has a doctorate from The University of Kansas in special education with an emphasis in emotional, behavioral, and autism spectrum disorders and is a board certified behavior analyst specializing in school based services. She provides collaborative coaching to school districts in developing evidence based multi-tiered systems of behavioral support and serves as adjunct faculty with The Mandt System, an international leader in crisis prevention and intervention. Kaye has over thirty years of experience in public and private schools as a general and special educator and behavioral consultant and has experience working with all ages, ability levels, and disability categories. She is the co-author of the book How to Reach and Teach Children with Challenging Behavior: Practical Ready-To-Use Strategies that Work and the online professional development courses Managing Challenging Behavior: Part 1-Antecedent Strategies and Part 2-Consequence Strategies provided by Exceptional Child of Vector Solutions.
Event Date and Time
- Wednesday, October 6, 2021 - 2:30pm to 3:30pm
After watching this recorded webinar a certificate for 1.5 hours is available. Complete a brief survey and short knowledge check. A certificate will be generated if a passing score of 80% is achieved.
Contact InformationRhonda Danner
< Return to Upcoming Opportunities
< Return to Professional Development Home Page
Connect With Us