Colorado's P-3 Leadership Cadre
Traditionally education and care for young children has been thought of as a birth – age five then K – 12 experience. Support for families and children was provided through a focus on a smooth transition to kindergarten. However, there is a strong research base in the importance of the learning and growth opportunities for young children prior to kindergarten. There is also a growing awareness of the importance of a coherent, aligned system of support for families and children in order to ensure school readiness and promote school success. Taken together a P-3 or preschool through grade three, approach to early learning is taking hold nationally.
About the Cadre
In an effort to advance statewide learning of P-3 approaches to leading elementary schools, the Teaching and Learning Unit at CDE initiated a P-3 School Leadership Cadre which involved small school leadership teams (i.e., principal, preschool and K-3 teacher leaders, instructional coaches, etc.) from across the state in a professional learning community.
This learning community was co-created between participating school leadership teams and CDE with the intention to
- learn from one another about efforts to create a P-3 system in schools,
- learn from state and national experts about effective P – 3 models,
- work to co-develop a P – 3 leadership model for the state, and
- establish demonstration sites for the state.
A primary guide for the cadre was Leading Pre-K-3 Learning Communities: Competencies for Effective Principal Practice, a recent publication of the National Association of Elementary School Principals (NAESP). In partnership with the Colorado Association of Elementary School Principals, CDE serves in the role of convener, co-creator, and co-learner in the cadre.
More information about the P-3 Cadre in Colorado as well as accomplishments and lessons learned can be found the P-3 Cadre Report.
Learn more about the goals, next steps and lessons learned from the P-3 Cadre members in the following school and district profiles.
- Colorado School for the Deaf and Blind
- Colorado Springs, District 11, Queen Palmer Elementary School
- Eagle County School District, June Creek Elementary School
- Freemont School District, Cotoaxi Consolidated Schools
- Mapleton School District, Global Primary Academy
- Thompson School District