You are here

Name Change Requests


Educators may request a name change with CDE for a number of reasons. There are two typical scenarios:

  1. You need a new credential issued (softcopy), or
  2. You just need to let us know that your name has changed.

In either case, you need to assemble and scan any applicable legal documentation for the name change, such as:

  • marriage license,
  • divorce decree or
  • other officially issued court document


  • a copy of a valid, federal- or Colorado state-issued photo id that reflects your new name.

View information on scanning and saving documents


If You Require an Updated Credential

Complete the "Reprint Request/Name Change" application in the CDE eLicensing system:

  • Note: You must have an active credential to request a name change and reprint.
  • Upload electronic copies of the official documentation supporting the legal name change within the application.
  • There is no fee associated with this application, and a copy of your updated credential will be sent to you via e-mail.


If You Just Want to Change Your Name on File

You only need to provide legal documentation for a name change (as described above) if you want an updated credential sent to you. So, if you can wait until you apply to renew a present credential or to obtain another one, you can take care of the name change at the same time. (You will need to upload an electronic copy of the official documentation supporting the legal name change at that time.)



For questions, submit a Licensing Support Request form or call 720-739-3304 (7:30 am to 12:30 pm, Monday through Friday).