You are here
Step-by-Step Guide to Obtaining a Principal Authorization Via an Individualized Plan
Requirements for a Principal Authorization Via an Individualized Plan
Before a candidate may apply for a principal authorization, the following three criteria must be met:
- There is a demonstrated need for the principal or assistant principal position in the partnering Colorado school district or BOCES;
- An employment agreement for the position exists; and
- An individualized principal plan has been developed and vetted by CDE/Educator Development as meeting established indicators.
What follows are the steps districts and their candidates will need to take to create an individualized plan. Resources will open in a new window or tab, depending on your browser settings.
1. Review Guidelines
Always confirm you have the latest version of the Alternative Principal Authorization Guidelines
Step 1: Districts and alternative principal candidates should review the guidelines
Step 2: Districts:
- Refer to the Individualized Alternative Principal Plan template to help you develop a plan
- Review the principal authorization requirements in the guidelines
- Download the Principal Authorization Guidelines
- Download the Individualized Alternative Principal Plan template (PDF)
- Download the Alternative Principal Statement of Assurance
- For best results complete the template using Adobe Acrobat Reader.
2. Submit Documentation
3. Engage the review process
Step 1: CDE will evaluate the plan in light of the Quality Indicators published in the Principal Authorization Guidelines
Step 2: All parties are notified of CDE's decision and/or feedback on the plan.
Step 3: Once satisfactorily vetted internally, CDE will contact the candidate to submit an application for a principal authorization.
4. Receive Decision
Step 1: Upon receipt of the application, the plan will be submitted for approval at an upcoming meeting of the Colorado State Board of Education.
Step 2: Once approved, CDE will finalize the application process and provide the candidate with a principal authorization
- Important Note: The plan does not go into effect until the Colorado State Board of Education has approved it and the principal authorization is issued.
- If you have questions while awaiting a decision, contact CDE