- Colorado Public Library Board & Trustee Handbook (to request printed copies, call the Colorado State Library, 303-866-6900)
- Hiring a Library Director (PDF) Designing a successful interview process
The Colorado State Library regularly offers in-person and virtual training and consulting for public library boards.
- The Basics of Good Governance
- Legal Hot Topics for Libraries
- Trustee Fiduciary Duties
- Introduction to Strategic Planning
- Board Self-Regulation Tactics
- The Interrelationship Amongst Library Governing Boards/Friends/Foundations
- Current Trends in Public Libraries
Contact the Colorado State Library (303-866-6900) for further information or to schedule a virtual or in-library board training for your library.
Additional Online Training Resources:
- Getting on Board: Tools for Board Development and Assessment (YouTube Videos from WebJunction)
- Trustee Academy, from United for Libraries
- Mill Levy Elections:
- EveryLibrary Webinar: "The Librarian as Candidate: Or, How to Run Against your own Library and Win"
- Guidelines for complying with Fair Campaign Practices Act (FCPA) (PDF)
- Library Elections 2 Part Web Series from the State Library
- Part 1: How to Get a Yes Vote for Your Library Mill Levy (note: some audio issues at the beginning)
- Part 2: Nuts & Bolts (and Bricks!): Library Elections Primer for Operating and Building Projects
- Colorado Library Law: (CRS 24-90-101 et seq). Full text, Quick Guides, and other information on the Colorado Library Law.
- Other State Laws Impacting Public Libraries
- Library Districts
- A library district is one of the four types of Colorado public libraries specified in the Library Law (CRS 24-90-101...). It is a political subdivision of the state, funded by a voter-approved property tax. Once the library district is approved by the voters, the appointed board of trustees has full governance powers and responsibilities, including mill levy certification, budget appropriation, and the authority to issue bonds.
- Library District Legal Documents (Bylaws, Establishment and Maps)
- Sample Policies
- Fact Sheet: Guns in the Library (PDF)
- Removing Barriers to Access (PDF)
- Thinking about forming a library district?
- For resources related to library district formation or to request a training for your city, town or county, contact Jacqueline Murphy.
Disclaimer: This is not intended as legal advice or to serve as a legal opinion of the Colorado Department of Education. Please consult with your city, county or library district attorney, as applicable, for any legal implications for your library.
- Colorado Public Library Standards: The Public Library Standards conform to language in CRS 24-90-105(2)(a.3) calling for improvement in standards for public libraries.
- LRS Resources for Community Analysis
- Aspen Institute
Libraries exist in a political framework, and sometimes either internal or external politics get in the way of our libraries’ missions. CSL facilitation can help your library and community best mitigate this. CSL meeting facilitation is focused on:
- Shared participation
- Mediation and conciliation services
- Improving group dynamics
- Having effective meetings
- Strategic and action planning assistance with quality citizen and stakeholder input
- Assistance with organization and clarifying next steps
For consultation on Strategic Planning, please contact the Colorado State Library at 303-866-6900.
- Directories and Map:
- Professional Organizations:
- Library Research Service: (LRS) responsible for collecting and organizing library data
Contact the Colorado State Library (303-866-6900) for more information.