You are here
Obtaining a Principal Authorization: What You Need to Know
Requirements for a Principal Authorization
Before a candidate may apply for a principal authorization, the following three criteria must be met:
- There is a demonstrated need for the principal or assistant principal position in the partnering Colorado school district or BOCES;
- An employment agreement for the position exists; and
- An individualized principal plan has been developed and vetted by CDE/Educator Development as meeting established indicators.
What follows are the steps districts and their candidates will need to take to create an individualized plan. Resources will open in a new window or tab, depending on your browser settings.
Always confirm you have the latest version of the Alternative Principal Authorization Guidelines
- Districts and alternative principal candidates should review the guidelines
- Refer to the Individualized Alternative Principal Plan template to help you develop a plan
- Review the principal authorization requirements in the guidelines
- For best results complete the template using Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Need help developing a plan? Click here to see a list of organizations that are available as a resource to school districts.
- CDE will evaluate the plan in light of the Quality Indicators published in the Principal Authorization Guidelines
- All parties are notified of CDE's decision and/or feedback on the plan.
- Only at that time will the applicant be able to submit an application for a principal authorization.
- Upon receipt of the application, the plan will be submitted to the Colorado State Board of Education for approval at an upcoming meeting.
- Once approved, CDE will finalize the application process and provide the candidate with a principal authorization
** Important: The plan does not go into effect until the Colorado State Board of Education has approved it and the principal authorization is issued. **