You are here
Obtaining a Principal Authorization: What You Need to Know
What follows are the steps districts and their candidates will need to take to create an individualized plan. Resources will open in a new window or tab, depending on your browser settings.
Always confirm you have the latest version of the Alternative Principal Authorization Guidelines
- Districts and alternative principal candidates should review the guidelines
- Refer to the Individualized Alternative Principal Plan template to help you develop a plan
- Review the principal authorization requirements in the guidelines
- For best results complete the template using Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Candidates and the hiring district/BOCES/charter school collaboratively develop an individualized alternative principal plan
- CDE will evaluate the plan in light of the Quality Indicators published in the Principal Authorization Guidelines
- All parties are notified of CDE's decision and/or feedback on the plan.
- Only at that time will the applicant be able to submit an application for a principal authorization.
- Upon receipt of the application, the plan will be submitted to the Colorado State Board of Education for approval at an upcoming meeting.
- Once approved, CDE will finalize the application process and provide the candidate with a principal authorization
** Important: The plan does not go into effect until the Colorado State Board of Education has approved it and the principal authorization is issued. **