This page lists the steps districts and candidates will use to obtain an alternative principal authorization in Colorado. It also includes links to resources that help you complete each step.
Resources will open in a new window or tab, depending on your browser settings.
Always confirm you have the latest version of the Alternative Principal Authorization Guidelines
- Districts and alternative principal candidates should review the guidelines
- Refer to the Individualized Alternative Principal Plan template to help you develop a plan
- Review the alternative principal authorization requirements in the guidelines
- For best results complete the template using Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Complete the alternative principal authorization checklist
- Using the eLicensing system, submit your application online along with all required documentation described in the checklist (e.g., the district-developed individualized alternative principal plan, etc.)
CDE will evaluate the candidate's application using the Quality Indicators published in the Alternative Principal Authorization Guidelines
The State Board of Education approves the individualized plan
CDE finalizes the application and provides the candidate with the alternative principal authorization