You are here
State Grants to Libraries
In the 2021 legislative session, the Colorado Legislature appropriated $3 million in the state's budget to fund the State Grants to Libraries Act. The funds will be available to eligible publicly funded school, public and academic libraries to fund grants for library materials as defined in the statute (see CRS 24-90-401). The purpose of the funds is for educational materials in libraries that support efforts to improve literacy and learning.
Funding Available for 2021-2022
The Colorado State Library is excited to announce that nearly $3 million in State Grants to Libraries funding is available for 2021-2022! The Colorado Legislature appropriated these grant funds because of the continued impact they provide to the communities the libraries serve. Projected funding amounts are available here (one grant awarded per library jurisdiction, academic institution, or school district). Eligibility forms are due Wednesday, September 15, 2021.
- October 2021: Award amounts announced
- June 15, 2022: End of grant period. All funds must be spent
- June 30, 2022: Final requests for funds must be received
- July 29, 2022: Final grant report due
2020-2021 Distribution of State Grants to Libraries (PDF): View a map of where the 2020-201 State Grants to Libraries were distributed, funding 315 grants to academic, public, and school libraries across the state. 97% of all libraries in the state received funding at a minimum of $3,500.
The Impact of State Grants to Libraries: 2019-2020 (PDF): In 2019-2020, $3 million was distributed to 318 public, school, academic, and institutional libraries. See how that money was used, some benefits of the funding, and how grantees said the funding helped them.
State Grants to Libraries & COVID-19 (PDF): During the 2019-2020 grant year, 1/3 of grantees reported COVID-19 directly impacting their use of funds. Read more about the impact.
Funding Allocation Charts
These list each previous grant recipient (one grant per main library jurisdiction or school district) and amount.
- 2020-2021 (PDF)
- 2019-2020 (PDF)
- 2018-2019 (PDF)
- 2017-2018 (PDF)
- 2016-2017 (PDF)
- 2015-2016 (PDF)
- 2014-2015 (PDF)
- 2013-2014 (PDF)
- Eligible Purchases Checklist - Wondering whether you can purchase an item with this funding? Review this checklist of what are eligible purchases, and what are not.
- Databases, eBooks, and other subscriptions - special Colorado Library Consortium (CLiC) pricing for vendors that offer online tools and other resources for research
- Kits and other non-traditional circulating items: view the Check Out an Experience! CSL in Session archive for ideas on different items to add to your collection and how to implement the circulation.
Colorado Libraries Collaborate! (CLC)
Melissa Carlson, Program Manager