You are here
State Grants to Libraries
In the 2019 legislative session, the Colorado Legislature increased the appropriation to $3 million in the state's budget to fund the State Grants to Libraries Act. The funds will be available to eligible publicly funded school, public and academic libraries to fund grants for library materials as defined in the statute (see CRS 24-90-401). The purpose of the funds is for educational materials in libraries that support efforts to improve literacy and learning.
2019-2020 Funding Available, Now with More Money!
The Colorado State Library is pleased to announce another year of State Grants to Libraries funding being available to libraries across the state! This year an additional $500,000 has been appropriated from the Colorado Legislature because of the demonstrated impact these funds provide to the communities the libraries serve. Each eligible library will receive a minimum of $1,000 more than in previous years. Projected funding amounts are available here (one grant awarded per library jurisdiction, academic institution, or school district). Eligibility forms are due Monday, September 16, 2019.
- July 15, 2019: 2018-2019 final grant report due
- September 16, 2019: Eligibility forms due.
- October 2019: Award amounts announced
- October-November 2019: Award disbursement begins
- May 31, 2020: End of grant period. All funds must be spent.
- June 15, 2020: Final drawdown requests must be received.
- July 15, 2020: 2019-2020 final grant report due.
Have a question about these forms, eligible purchases, or anything related to the State Grants for Libraries? Check our Frequently Asked Questions first - your question is likely already answered here.
2018-2019 Distribution of State Grants to Libraries (PDF): View a map of where the 2018-2019 State Grants to Libraries were distributed, funding 318 grants to academic, public, and school libraries across the state. 97.5 % of all libraries in the state received funding at a minimum of $3,500.
The Impact of State Grants to Libraries: 2017-2018 (PDF). In 2017, $2.5 million was distributed to 316 public, school, academic, and institutional libraries. See how that money was used, some benefits of the funding, and how grantees said the funding helped them.
Funding Allocation Charts
These list each previous grant recipient (one grant per main library jurisdiction or school district) and amount.
Colorado Libraries Collaborate! (CLC)
- Participant List - Membership in CLC is required for public and academic libraries. Check to see if your library is already a member.
- Participation Agreement Form - If you are not a member, you can fill out this form and become a member by October 1 to become eligible for funding.
Reporting and Evaluation
2018-2019 final report is due by July 15, 2019. All funds must be spent by June 30, 2019.
- Online 2018-2019 Final Report. Link will also be emailed to the Grant Reporting Contact Person listed on your Eligibility Form. One report per grantee.
- Preview the 2018-2019 Report Form (PDF).
- Link for 2019-2020 Final Report coming early 2020. Link will also be emailed to the Grant Reporting Contact Person listed on your Eligibility Form. One report per grantee.
- Preview the 2019-2020 Report Form (PDF)
- Reporting Q and A - frequently asked questions by grant recipients on how to report use of funds (2018-2019).
- Eligible Purchases Checklist - Wondering whether you can purchase an item with this funding? Review this checklist of what are eligible purchases, and what are not.
- Databases, eBooks, and other subscriptions - special Colorado Library Consortium (CLiC) pricing for vendors that offer online tools and other resources for research
- Kits and other non-traditional circulating items: view the Check Out an Experience! CSL in Session archive for ideas on different items to add to your collection and how to implement the circulation.
2019-2020 Overview and Q&A webinar
August 2019: date and time TBA
Melissa Carlson, Program Manager