In the 2013 legislative session, the Colorado Legislature included an appropriation of $2 million in the state's budget to fund the State Grants to Libraries Act. The funds will be available to eligible publically funded school, public and academic libraries to fund grants for library materials as defined in the statute (see CRS 24-90-401). The purpose of the funds, as designated by the Joint Budget Committee is for educational materials in libraries that support or enhance opportunities for early literacy and early learning.
- Reporting is required by August 15, 2014. See more information in the Reporting and Evaluation section below and read some Frequently Asked Questions about reporting here.
- We are happy to announce the funding allocation for the State Grants to Libraries, Fiscal Year 2013-2014. This Funding Allocation Chart lists each grant recipient (one grant per main library jurisdiction or school district) and amount.
- Total Grant Distributions to Libraries by County
- Durango Public Library
- Elbert County Library District: State money is a big help for libraries
- Louisville Public Library lands state grant for children's materials
- Montezuma-Cortez School District RE-1: Cortez libraries receive grant
Have a question about these forms, eligible purchases, or anything related to the State Grants for Libraries? Check our Frequently Asked Questions first - your question is likely already answered here.
Colorado Libraries Collaborate! (CLC)
Participant List - Membership in CLC is required for public and academic libraries. Click here to see if your library is already a member.
Participation Agreement Form - If you are not a member, you can fill out this form and become a member by October 1 to become eligible for funding.
Eligible Purchases Checklist - Wondering whether you can purchase an item with this funding? Review this checklist of what are eligible purchases, and what are not.
Strategic Purchasing Recommendations - This funding has a focus on early literacy and early learning. Wondering how your library might make a strategic investment in this area? Our partners at the Colorado Library Consortium (CLiC) and Colorado Libraries for Early Literacy (CLEL) have some suggested packages for your library, including:
- 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten
- CLEL Silver Bell Award Winners
- Databases - special consortium pricing for EBSCO, Brittanica, Pebble Go, and TumbleBooks
- Early Literacy Collections for Parents and Professional Development
- Great Books for Babies
- Storytime Collection and Circulating Book Bags
Reporting and Evaluation
You can preview the Report Form that will be due after you finish your purchasing, or by August 15, 2014. Links to the online form will be sent to the Contact Person listed on your Eligibility Form.
Reporting Q and A - frequently asked questions by grant recipients on how to report use of funds.
State Grants to Libraries and You: An Overview - Webside Chat webinar recording from 8/15/13
Archived webinars that review the guidelines, eligibility requirements, and form submission process.
For more information contact:
Jean Marie Heilig, Fiscal Officer
Susan H. Burkholder, State Grants Compliance Officer