In compliance with legislation, Colorado joined the PARCC consortium as a governing member in August 2012. PARCC is a multi-state assessment consortium that is developing shared English language arts/literacy (ELA/L) and mathematics assessments. About 10 states participate in the consortium. As a governing member, Colorado is committed to relying on the PARCC assessment system for grades 3-9.
Spring 2016 CMAS Results - PARCC English Language Arts/Literacy and Mathematics
Administration Training Information
- Colorado - Spring 2017 CMAS and CoAlt Procedures Manual updated 11.28.16
- Spring 2017 Test Coordinator Manual (TCM)
- Verification of District Training Form: submit via Syncplicity
- Link to the PARCC Tutorials, Sample Items, Manuals, Practice Tests (updated for 2016-17), and Technology Information (has tutorial for all forms of the test including ASL)
- Colorado-adapted Student Registration/Personal Needs Profile (SR/PNP) File Layouts
PARCC Post Test Processes
DACs must submit the CDE Post Test Certification form after all materials from all administrations have been returned.
- 2017 Post Test Compliance Form (includes all CMAS and CoAlt assessments)
- Closing Out Test Sessions
- 2017 Void and Not Tested Codes and Reasons (in Procedures Manual)
- CMAS Data Supplement 2017
- 2017 PARCC Student Test Update (STU) File Layout - CO version
Mathematics Assessment Options for 2016-2017
- Students in grades 3-6 will take the appropriate grade level assessment.
- Students in grade 7 have the option of taking the 7th grade math, algebra I, or the Integrated math I assessment.
- Students in grade 8 have the option of taking the 8th grade math, algebra I, geometry, or the Integrated math I or II assessment.
- Students in grade 9 will take a math assessment. They may take any of the high school math assessments (i.e., algebra I, geometry, algebra II, or Integrated math I, II, or III).
The calculator use policy for 2017 can be found here.
Information about Estimated Testing Times
PARCC estimates that students will spend the approximate lengths of time below to complete all the sessions, or timed components, of the PARCC assessments in ELA and math:
- 8.25 hours annually in 3rd grade
- 8.5 hours in grades 4–5
- A little more than 9 hours in grades 6-9
Specific unit times and scheduling considerations can be found here.
Unique Accommodations Request
In Colorado, there is additional guidance on several accommodations for ELA/L and/or mathematics. Unique accommodation requests (UAR) must be submitted to CDE via Syncplicity by December 15 for approval.
- Guidance to determine if a student qualifies for reading access accommodations for the ELA/L assessment (e.g.,text-to-speech, sign, human reader/oral script) is here.
- Guidance to determine if a student qualifies for a calculator (or math tools) on the non-calculator portions of the assessment grades 3-7 is here, and the pilot for grades 8-9 is here.
- Guidance to determine if a student qualifies for a human scribe on the ELA/L assessment is here.
- Instructions for other accommodations is here.
Released items from the 2015 PARCC ELA/L and math assessments can be found here. There are items from each grade and content in PDF format.
PARCC Test Design
PARCC has released documents to help schools and districts understand the design of the assessment. For ELA/L these documents include high level assessment blueprints, ELA Literacy Common forms Specifications, reading evidence tables, writing evidence tables, task models, scoring rubrics and performance level descriptors.
For mathematics, the documents include high level assessment blueprints, claim structure documents, evidence statements, informational guides by grade level to help teachers, and performance level descriptors.
PARCC Technology Guidelines
PARCC has issued guidance designed to inform schools and districts as they make annual instructional technology purchases. The guidelines include hardware and operating system specifications covering the vast majority of commercially available computers and tablets. For more information, please see our District Technology Coordinator webpage.
PARCC Data Privacy & Security Policy
Information about the Data Privacy & Security Policy that all PARCC states agreed to can be found here. This policy includes information about basic privacy protections, security monitoring, when and who can access personally identifiable information (PII), breach remediation and responsibilities of all parties.
The Department has established a website with a variety of information related to data privacy and security.
PARCC Quick Links
Here are links for commonly requested information:
- Accommodation Matrix
- Locking and Unlocking Test Units
- Math reference sheets (updated for 2017): Grade 5, Grade 6, Grade 7, Grade 8, High School
- PearsonAccessnext Published Reports Guidance (Avocet)
- 2017 Post Test Compliance Form (includes all CMAS and CoAlt)
- Test Administration Manuals (TAM) Computer-based Assessment: Grades 3-5, Grades 6-8, High School ELA, High School Math (coming in January)
- Test Administration Manuals (TAM) Paper-based Assessment: Grades 3-5, Grades 6-8, High School ELA, High School Math (coming in January)
- Test Coordinator Manual (TCM)
- Testing Multiple Grades in a Testing Environment
- Transfer Student Guidance for Colorado
- The updated 2016 ISR shell has been translated into the following languages (PDF):
Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), Haitian Creole, Navajo, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Urdu, and Vietnamese.
- Verification of District Training Form
- Void and Not Tested Codes and Reasons
To view information archived materials from previous administrations click here.