You are here
Literacy and Youth Services
- Colorado Public Libraries Early Literacy Framework 2020 - 2025
- COVID-19 Youth Services Resources
These resources may provide useful information as you protect, serve, and support your community during this challenging outbreak.
- 2021 Summer Learning Program resources
The theme for the 2021 summer learning program is animals, with the same slogan for all ages: Tails & Tales.
- Child Abuse Prevention Resources and Ideas For Libraries
In April--National Child Abuse Prevention Month--and year-round, these resources and ideas will help your library raise awareness of this critical issue.
- Library staff new to Colorado and/or new to youth services
This handy document outlines listservs, organizations, professional development, programs unique to CO, resources available for your library and for parents, and a timeline of youth services activities in CO.
- Removing Barriers to Access: Eliminating Fines and Fees on Library Materials
This white paper, from the Colorado State Library, details research on why eliminating fines and fees, especially on children's materials, provides greater access to library materials for all residents--and how this results in little to no negative financial effect.
- SPELL --Supporting Parents in Early Literacy through Libraries--was a project funded by a National Leadership Grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services. Learn about the project at its website, including the blueprint of recommendations.
- Temporarily on Hold: Baby and Toddler Storytime Kits Available for Check Out!
Check out (literally!) our Baby and Toddler Storytime Kits for your library! Discover all the details at the link above.
- Reading Tips for Parents Brochure (ages 0-6)
This brochure provides tips and activity ideas to help parents and caregivers prepare young children to be ready to read in kindergarten, and how to set a positive atmosphere for reading activities.
Order online in bulk, or print English (PDF) & Spanish (PDF)
- Day by Day Family Literacy Activity Calendars
These beautifully illustrated perpetual calendars, available in English and Spanish, provide a fun early literacy activity each day for parents, caregivers, and ECE educators. To request free calendars, complete this online form.
Youth Services Campaigns/Events/Resources
- Colorado Statewide Summer Learning Program
The Colorado State Library provides high-quality summer learning resources and training to public library staff across the state.
- One Book Colorado (OBCO)
An annual statewide book giveaway to instill a love of reading in every Colorado 4-year-old.
- 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten
A flexible program that encourages parents and caregivers to read at least 1000 books to their children before they reach kindergarten.
- What Young Children Like in Books
A one-pager on selecting appropriate books for specific ages from birth-5
- Birth to Five Concise Development Timeline
Highlights of development in young children
- Teen Tech Week (TTW):
- Colorado Teen Literature Conference
This annual event promotes and celebrates teen literature.
- A number of USDA-funded programs are available for libraries to provide free snacks and meals to children birth-18 serving school districts that have at least 50% free- and reduced cost lunch eligibility (2017-18 free and reduced cost lunch eligibility by school district:):
- Partnering with your local Summer Food Service Program is an excellent opportunity to provide your summer program to more kids this summer; learn more about the program and find partnering suggestions in this handout.
- The Child and Adult Care Food Program provides reimbursements for meals and snacks that nonprofits provide to children during out-of-school-time program:
- Chart comparing SFSP and CACFP programs
Literacy Promotion Resources
- Continuing Education from the Colorado State Library
The Colorado State Library offers professional development opportunities and promotes other offerings.
A collection of 30 to 60-second videos modeling to parents, caregivers & library staff songs, rhymes & fingerplays for early childhood.
- STEAM in Libraries
Ideas for & examples of STEAM (Science, Tech, Engineering, Arts, Math) in public libraries
- Early Childhood Colorado
Your gateway to services for young children and their families, and the professionals who serve them.
- Every Child Ready to Read (ECRR) Toolkit
A parent education initiative stressing that early literacy begins with the primary adults in a child's life. The ECRR toolkit empowers public libraries to assume an essential role in supporting early literacy.
- Colorado Authors Posters
Downloadable posters featuring the names of prominent Colorado authors (PDF) and Children's book authors (PDF).
Youth Services Groups
- Colorado Libraries for Early Literacy (CLEL)
Passionately committed to strengthening children's literacy through library services and community advocacy. CLEL's steering committee currently serves as an advisory group to the Colorado State Library.
- Children and Teen Services Special Interest Group of the Colorado Association of Libraries (CATS)
A forum for all library staff who serve children and teens to share ideas while working together to fill the need of consistently providing excellent services to patrons from birth to 18 and their caregivers throughout the state of Colorado.
- CCIRA - Informing, Inspiring, and Innovating Literacy in Colorado
A professional organization of educators and community members dedicated to the promotion and advancement of literacy.
Colorado-based Email Lists
- Colorado Youth Services email list (CYS-Lib)
For all youth service librarians working with children in Colorado in public libraries. School librarians are also welcome.
- Colorado Young Adult Advocates in Libraries (C'YAAL)
A group of professional library staff who meet quarterly to share resources such as summer reading materials, programs, training.
- Colorado's Programming Librarians (CoProLib)
For Colorado library staff to exchange info on adult, teen and children's programming. Primary focus is public libraries, but staff from other types of libraries are welcome.
- Colorado Youth Services email list (CYS-Lib)
What does Beth do?
As the Youth & Family Services Consultant, Beth provides consulting and training on child development, library programming and activities, outreach services, and community collaborations. She supports children, teens and families by coordinating statewide initiatives for early literacy, summer learning, outdoor experiences, and other campaigns.