The CDE School Nutrition Unit works with public institutions called Residential Child Care Institutions (RCCIs) to provide the full benefits of School Nutrition Programs. RCCIs are operated by a federal, state or local government entity. In Colorado, RCCIs are recognized as a facility school by the Colorado Department of Education.
- Institutions must operate principally for the care of children and include, but are not limited to:
- Residential and/or day program facilities for individuals with physical or mental disabilities
- Group homes
- Halfway houses
- Temporary shelters for abused and/or runaway children
- Juvenile detention centers
RCCI Food Safety Resources (University of Rhode Island)
- SP 48-2013 Extending Flexibility for RCCIs in the National School Lunch Program (June 25, 2013)
- SP 38-2012 Residential Child Care Institutions exception for safety if serving multiple age/grade groups (July 16, 2012)
For more information on the administration of School Nutrition Programs in RCCIs, please contact Alicia Grove.