You are here
Farm to School and Farm to Summer
Farm to School is a program focused on connecting communities to healthy, fresh and local food by influencing change within who and how food is purchased, nutrition and agricultural education and supporting schools in establishing school gardens and agricultural programs.
Farm To School Highlights
Windsor-Severance RE-4 School District: Food 4-Ever Agricultural Education Fair
- Fourth-graders learn about where their food and other products come from at the Weld RE-4 Agricultural Fair. Read more here.
- Your voice, your story and your passion are powerful. Impact and influence Farm to School and Farm to Summer in Colorado by sharing your story.
Farm to School Events: Colorado Crunch Time!
A big Thank You to everyone who participated in Colorado Crunch Time! We had nearly 7,000 participants this year - how 'bout them apples?
About Farm to School
- Farm to School embodies three core elements:
- Procurement: Purchasing local foods.
- Education: Education related to agriculture, food, health and nutrition..
- School Gardens: Support and sustain school gardens to provide hand-on educational experiences and connecting students with their food.
- The Benefits of Farm to School
- Farm to School provides a Win-Win approach, harvesting a life-long impact on kids, farmers and communities.
In 2010, the Colorado General Assembly created the Colorado Interagency Farm-to-School Coordination Task Force (HB10-81), most commonly referred to as the Colorado Farm to School Task Force.
The main objectives of the Colorado Farm to School Task Force are:
- Increasing awareness of farm to school opportunities and partnerships.
- Disseminating farm to school resources, materials and toolkits.
- Assessing policy and regulatory opportunities and barriers.
- Identifying and supporting opportunities to further farm to school efforts.
Farm To School and Farm to Summer Resources
Find Local Products
- Colorado Farmer’s Market
- Colorado Market Maker: The Colorado Market Maker is a resource to find local producers, markets, food, and to build local connections.
- Seasonal Food Guide
- Procuring Local Foods for Child Nutrition Programs
- USDA Procuring Local Foods Resources
- USDA Buying Local Foods Resources
- NFSN Procurement Resources
- Office of School Nutrition Procurement webpage
Education & Curriculum
- Colorado Foundation for Agriculture
- The Colorado Foundation for Agriculture provides a variety of educational materials such as activity sheets, posters, readers and lesson plans.
- Harvest for Healthy Kids
- National Agriculture in the Classroom
- NFSN Education Resources
- Team Nutrition Garden Resources
- USDA Farm to School Education and Curriculum Integration
- Colorado Proud Produce Calendar
- Farm to Summer Tip Sheet
- National Farm to School Network Fact Sheets
- USDA Fact Sheets
- Food Safety Tips for School Gardens
- Fruit and Vegetable Safety
- Hazard Analysis of Critical Control Points (HACCP) Standard Operating Procedure (SOP)
Toolkits and Manuals
- Boulder Valley Farm to School Manua
- Boulder Valley Garden Manual
- USDA Farm to School Planning ToolKit
- USDA Farm to School Planning Presentations
- Garden to Cafeteria Program Guide
- Whole Kids Foundation: Garden to Cafeteria Toolkit
- National School Garden Network: Garden to Cafeteria Webinar
- My Plate, My State
Farm to School Census
- For more information, visit the Farm to School Census webpage.
- To find your school, start at Find Your School District and then use the search boxes in middle of the webpage to find your district.
- Colorado Farm to School Task Force
- Colorado Department of Agriculture (CDA)
- Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) Farm to Child Care in Colorado
- Colorado Department of Human Services- USDA Foods and Department of Defense (DOD) Fresh
- Colorado Foundation for Agriculture
- National Farm to School Network (NFSN)
- USDA Community Food Systems- Farm to School
- USDA Community Food Systems- Farm to Summer
- Farm to School LiveWell Colorado
- Chef Ann Foundation
- Slow Food USA
- National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition
- Vermont FEED: A Farm to School Project
- National Young Farmers Coalition
- Rocky Mountain Farmers Union
- Colorado Proud School Meal Day
- Colorado Agriculture Council- Day at the Capital
- National Farm to School Month
For more information, contact McKenna Pullen.