Grant Opportunity: Diagnostic Review and Planning Grant
Proposals Due: Competition is currently closed.
Orientation Webinar: Diagnostic Review & Planning Grant
To view the recorded webinar: http://connect.enetcolorado.org/p8epu95irwc/
The No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 requires that states allocate resources for intensive and sustained support to schools designated as in need of improvement. This grant is made available to Title I Focus Schools and Title I Schools with a (preliminary) Turnaround or Priority Improvement plan type in order to provide resources and support a focused approach to improvement through a Diagnostic Review and/or Action Planning Support. Schools may apply for up to $50,000. A diagnostic review and action planning support within the last two years will be a prerequisite for applying for a School Improvement Support (SIS) Implementation Grant in 2014. Awarded funds must be used for activities related to:
Diagnostic Review by an External Provider, CDE will collaborate with districts to select a provider that meets the following requirements:
- Comprehensive, evidence based review of how the school is functioning in the areas of:
- Standard 1: Standards and Instructional Planning
- Standard 2: Best First Instruction
- Standard 3: Assessment of & for Learning
- Standard 4: Tiered Support
- Standard 5: Leadership
- Standard 6: Culture and Climate
- Standard 7: Educator Effectiveness
- Standard 8: Continuous Improvement
- Detailed report including:
- Executive summary
- Detailed report of observations with supporting evidence
- Recommended goals or action steps
- Staff debrief including:
- Key findings from the review
- High level observations
- Opportunities for improvement
Action Planning Support (not to be provided by members of the Diagnostic Review team), which may include costs associated with:
- Support for data gathering and organizing (pre-planning for data analysis)
- Review of student performance data;
- Identification of trends and performance challenges;
- Prioritization of performance challenges;
- Root cause analysis;
- Target setting;
- Action planning; and
- Costs associated with involving relevant stakeholders (e.g., staff, parents) in data analysis and action planning.
Eligible schools include: All Title I Schools with (preliminary) Priority Improvement or Turnaround (PITA) Plan Types.
Prioritized in the following order:
- Title I Focus Schools not awarded FY12 1003a funds
- Title I Schools with Turnaround plan types
- Title I schools with Priority Improvement plan types
In addition, the following criteria will be taken into account for prioritization when making award decisions:
- Title I Priority Improvement/Turnaround (PITA) furthest along on the clock
- Title I PITA declining over all points on SPF
- Remaining Title I PITA
See the Eligibility List. Schools receiving Tiered Intervention Grant funding are not eligible for this opportunity.
Application Submission Requirements
Applicants must submit their application via the new Colorado Grants Management System (COGMS) online application system. Paper applications will not be accepted. A copy of the application requirements are available below, to be used as a guide to gathering the necessary information needed for the online application.
- 2013 Diagnostic Review and Planning Grant RFP (Note: This is paper version, for information purposes only. All applications must be submitted through the electronic Diagnostic Review Application via the COGMS.)
Applications must be submitted electronically through the Colorado Grants Management System (COGMS).
- To find the Diagnostic Review and Planning Application, go to https://g3.state.co.us/grantium/frontOffice.jsf, click “Browse Funding Opportunities” on the left and enter search criteria. You may review the application without registering, but you must register in order to apply for this grant.
- Your LEA may already have an Applicant Profile created, check with your grants person or with Courtney Kuntz at Kuntz_c@cde.state.co.us to see if you should use an existing LEA profile or create a new one.
- It is strongly recommended that you participate in or view the webinar before beginning your electronic application to avoid any technical issues in submitting your application.
If you have any questions regarding the electronic application or would like technical assistance, please call 303-866-6143 or send an email to: CompetitiveGrants@cde.state.co.us.