Office of Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Education
1560 Broadway, Suite 1100
Denver, CO 80202
The Office of Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Education provides support to Colorado school districts, schools, and educational leaders in the academic, linguistic, and social-emotional challenges and opportunities of culturally and linguistically diverse students to ensure equitable access to grade level standards and ensure a well-rounded education.
Congratulations 2017 11th Annual CLDE Academy Award Winners
The 12th Annual CLDE Academy continues to offer an opportunity to network with district colleagues across the state to provide a professional platform to learn and share innovative and effective practices and programs for Colorado English learners. Intended Audience: District Directors, Coordinators and Administrators. Please limit registration to 2 members per district. Registration closes on April 2nd.
2018 Academy events held at the Sheraton Denver Tech are listed below:
- May 1st - Academy Workshops (3 hours) from 1:00pm - 4:00pm
- May 1st - Administrator & Student Art Award Ceremony from 4:30pm - 6:00pm
- May 2nd - Academy Sessions (75 minutes) from 8:00am- 4:00pm
The Office of Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Education - WIDA Screener (Online, Paper, and Scoring) and Colorado Identification Procedures Training
- Beginning July 1, 2018, the W-APT for grades 1-12 will no longer be available for Colorado schools and districts to use in the English Learner Identification process.
- Please note, kindergarten students will still be assessed with the W-APT.
- At this time registration is limited to Colorado schools and districts and available to at least one but no more than two representatives.
- To ensure an efficient and high quality transition to the WIDA Screener effective July 1, 2018, several training dates and locations are scheduled in May.
- Additional August dates and locations will be communicated at a later time.
- Each training is limited to 35 participants. In the event that there are fewer than ten registered, the training will be rescheduled and those registered will be notified
Please click on a specific location below to begin registration:
As part of the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), CDE is required to address standards, assessments, school and district accountability and special assistance for struggling schools in a state plan. Revisions to Colorado’s ESSA state plan will be submitted to the US Department of Education in October 2017. Once the US Department of Education has approved the plan, updates will be made to the ELD Guidebook based on the new requirements. Revisions and updates will be made to the following chapters below:
- Redesignation and Exit Guidance 2017-2018 School Year
- Federal and State Legislation and Court Decisions
- ACCESS 2.0 for ELLs
- ELs in the Statewide System of Accountability
- English Language Proficiency Act (ELPA)
- Data Pipeline: Student October count
To request the ELD Guidebook in pdf form, please click here.
Recently Arrived English Learners Toolkit
The White House announced “Bright Spots” for welcoming and expanding opportunities for linguistic integration and education at end of June. The announcement identified a list of resources including the introduction of the U.S. Department of Education’s Newcomer Toolkit designed to help schools support immigrants, refugees, and their families with a successful integration process. This toolkit provides information, resources and examples of effective practices that educators can use to support newcomers in our schools and communities. We are pleased to share this tool with you.
English Learner Access to High Quality Education
On January 7, 2015, the Department of Education's Office of Civil Rights and the Department of Justice released a Joint guidance to spell out the legal obligations of state and local education agencies to English learners. At the same time, Office of English Language Acquisition (OELA) released the first chapter of an English Learners Tool Kit (on identifying all English learners), offering check lists, tools, and resources to help SEAs and LEAs in fulfilling their obligations.