Early Transition Course
- Early Transition Overview - Module 1 -This module is an overview of transition from Early Intervention to Preschool Special Education and from Preschool Special Education to Kindergarten. We encourage you to share this link with families, classroom staff, service providers, administrators, service coordinators and other Early Intervention collaborators.
Early Transition Preparation and Adjustment for Children and Families- Module 2: *projected for May 2014.
Please direct questions about the Early Transition Modules to Heidi McCaslin
State and Federal Guidelines
- Early Childhood Transition Timeline for SPP/APR Indicators C-8A, 8B, 8C, B-11 and B-12 (September 2012)
- Federal IDEA Part C & Part B Transition Requirements for Late Referrals to IDEA Part C
NECTC Transition Practices and Strategies
- Peak Parent Center
- National Early Childhood Transition Center
- Early Childhood Technical Assistance Center
- The Legal Center
- Colorado Access
- CONNECT: The Center to Mobilize Early Childhood Knowledge -search “transition”
- Early Childhood Learning & Knowledge Center: A Service of The Office of Head Start (ECLKC)
- Harvard Family Research Project
- Tools for Transition in Early Childhood, Rous, B & Hallam, R (2006), Brookes Publishing
- Transitions for Young Children: Creating Connections Across Early Childhood Systems, Kagan, SL, & Tarrant, K (edits), (2010), Brookes Publishing
Materials Used in the Early Transition Module 2 * coming soon
- Transition Changes Checklist
- Building Strong Early Childhood Transition Connections
- Questions to Stimulate the Conversation
Tools to Support Transition Preparation and Adjustment * coming soon
Tools for Professionals
- Preparation and Adjustment Checklist- completed by programs to monitor their transition practices based on Early Intervention Colorado and Preschool Special Education transition priorities
- Sample Letter/Email – sent to families from sending school staff to begin the transition process with families
- Modelo de carta/correo electronico a familias
- Child Transition Profile – CONNECT-completed by the sending provider and family to give to receiving program
- Transition to Preschool Timeline (NEEDED)-to assist early intervention planning for transition to preschool
- Transition to Kindergarten Timeline – to assist preschools in organizing their planning for receiving children and sending children. Can also be used by kindergarten for transition planning for receiving children.
- Book List to prepare children for transition – for parents and providers-this website lists excellent reading materials to help children with transition.
- How Am I Doing? Follow up on Transition from Early Intervention to Preschool-to be completed by either sending or receiving program shortly after transition to preschool to measure adjustment
- How Am I Doing? Follow up on Transition from Preschool to Kindergarten-to be completed by either sending or receiving program shortly after transition to kindergarten to measure adjustment
Tools for Families
- Family Transition Questionnaire: A New School! – completed by families to help them gather transition information. Can be sent from either sending or receiving program
- Cuestionario familiar de transicion: Una escuela nueva!
- Information About My Child to Share With the New School (hard copy and electronic versions) – Completed by families to give to the receiving program. Can be sent to families from either sending or receiving program
- Información sobre mi hijo/a (hard copy)
- Información sobre mi hijo/a (electronic versión)
- How Do We Like this Preschool? Preschool Visitation Checklist – parts or all of the checklist completed by family to assist them in evaluating a potential preschool
- Book List to prepare children for transition – for parents and providers-this website lists excellent reading materials to help children with transition. * Available in Spanish
References: Module 2 * coming soon
- Lovett, D.L., & Haring, K.A. (2003). Family perceptions of transitions in early intervention. Education and Training in Developmental Disabilities, 38 (4): (pp. 370-377).
- Myers C.T., & Effgen, S.K. (2006) Physical therapists' participation in early childhood transitions. Pediatric Physical Therapy 18: 182-189. doi: 10.1097/01.pep.0000226744.00938.al.
- Ramey, CT, & Ramey, S.L. (1999) Beginning school for children at risk. In R.C Pianta & M.J. Cox (Eds.), The Transition to Kindergarten (pp. 217-251). Baltimore: Brookes
- Rimm-Kaufman, S.E., Pianta, R.C., & Cox, M.J. (2000). Teachers' judgements of problems in the transition to kindergarten, Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 15(2), (pp. 147-166).
- Rous, B., Harbin, G., & McCormick, J. (2006). The research base. In B. Rous & R Hallam (eds.), Tools for transition in early childhood: A step-by-step guide for agencies, teachers, and families (pp. 13-23). Baltimore: Brookes
- Rosenkoetter, S., Schroeder, C., Rous, B., Hains, A., Shaw, J., & McCormick, K. (2009). Review in early childhood transition: Child and family studies (Technical Report #5). Lexington: University of Kentucky, Human Development Institute, National Early Childhood Transition Center.