House Bill 06-1375 established the Colorado Special Education Fiscal Advisory Committee, by amending Article 20 of title 22, Colorado Revised Statutes. As specified in 22-20-114.5, the committee was appointed by the State Board of Education on September 14, 2006.
House Bill 06-1375; SECTION 8. Article 20 of title 22, Colorado Revised Statutes, is amended BY THE ADDITION OF A NEW SECTION to read: 22-20-114.5. Special education fiscal advisory committee - special education high-cost grants
House Bill 11-1277; SECTION 20. 22-20-114.5 (1) (b), (2) (a), (3) (a), (3) (a.5), and (3) (b) (II), Colorado Revised Statutes, are amended to read: 22-20-114.5. Special education fiscal advisory committee - special education high-cost grants - definitions - repeal.
High Cost Collection
- Starts: Monday, January 25, 2016 (collection will not start or end on a weekend)
- Ends: Wednesday, March 2, 2016
- Notifications: Emailed to all Administrative Unit/BOCES Special Education Directors. General announcements are published in the CDE Scoop
High Cost Allocation Payments
- High Cost Allocation payments are reviewed by the SEFAC Committee in April. All approved applications are submitted to the State Board of Education by the April deadline.
- State Board of Education grants approval of the approved allocations at the May meeting.
- Email notifications are sent by the 12th of June.
- Allocation Payments will be posted to the SEFAC website by the 12th of June.
- All approved High Cost allocation payments must be distributed by June 30.
Funding in a previous year does not guarantee funding in the current year.
High Cost Application under ECEA overview
Expenditure data reported on the applications should be audited expenditures for both In Administrative Unit (IAU) costs and Out of District (OOD) costs. The thresholds for funding remain the same; each special education student submitted must exceed $25K for IAU costs and $40K for OOD. Remember, only include costs directly attributable to this student, and contact us if you have questions regarding unique circumstances.
- Policy Approved by Special Education Fiscal Advisory Committee (SEFAC): If the Administrative Unit or BOCES has not completed their CDE Financial December Automated Data Exchange (to the School Finance Division) by March 1, 2014 that administrative unit or BOCES will not be eligible for high cost funding. https://cdeapps.cde.state.co.us/doc_fd_overview.htm
- Transportation Fuel/Maintenance Cost will be calculated using Federal rates per mile published annually. For the 2014-15 reporting year the Federal mileage rate was 0.56¢ per mile. http://www.irs.gov/2014-Standard-Mileage-Rates-for-Business,-Medical-and-Moving-Announced
- New this year: For students served in an approved Facility School any cost reflected over 176 days must be documented as ESY in the IEP to be eligible for reimbursement for the reported fiscal year. Indirect Costs for approved Facility Schools are not reimbursable - PLEASE read the Instructions! http://www.cde.state.co.us/facilityschools/tuitioncosts
SEFAC High Cost Student Reimbursement: Tips, Tools, Techniques, Links
- DO NOT DOWNLOAD THE ZIP FILE -- READ THESE INSTRUCTIONS
- Enable Macros / Tips & Techniques * Important Instruction please read * - PDF 01/31/2013
- Transportation Worksheet- Back by popular demand! -- EXCEL 02/20/2015
Submission for Collections Year 2014 - 2015 ; July 1, 2014 to June 30, 2015:
-- Collection starts Monday, January 25, 2016 --
- IN Administrative Unit 202A - IAU High Cost INSTRUCTIONS, please print and read -- PDF 01/xx/2016
- IN Administrative Unit 202A - IAU High Cost APPLICATION, MS 2007 (*.xlsm) - - EXCEL 01/xx/2016
Please print and read the instructions for the high cost collection
**Don't forget to ENABLE MACRO's If you don't enable the macro's the Excel Sheets will not function properly.**
- OUT of District 202B - OOD High Cost INSTRUCTIONS, please print and read -- PDF 01/xx/2016
- OUT of District 202B - IAU High Cost APPLICATION, MS 2007 (*.xlsm) -- EXCEL 01/xx/2016
SEFAC Legislative Report: Due January 15, 20xx
Collection Year: 2012-2013, SEFAC Legislative Report December 2014 - PDF 01/27/2015
Collection Year: 2011-2012, SEFAC Legislative Report December 2013 - PDF 01/17/2014
Collection Year: 2010-2011, SEFAC Legislative Report November 2012 - PDF 01/17/2013
Collection Year: 2009-2010, SEFAC Legislative Report November 2011 - PDF 01/28/2012
Collection Year: 2008-2009, SEFAC Legislative Report November 2010 - PDF 06/04/2011 (corrected)
Collection Year: 2007-2008, SEFAC Legislative Report November 2008 - PDF 01/21/2011
Collection Year: 2006-2007, SEFAC Legislative Report November 2007 - PDF 05/15/2009
Collection Year: 2005-2006, SEFAC Legislative Report November 2007 - PDF 02/25/2008
SEFAC Annual Allocations Report: Due June 30, 20xx
Collection Year: 2012-2013 data, Allocation June, 2014
Collection Year: 2011-2012 data, Allocation June, 2013
Collection Year: 2010-2011 data, Allocation June, 2012
Collection Year: 2009-2010 data, Allocation June, 2011
Collection Year: 2008-2009 data, (IAU & OOD forwward) Allocation June, 2010
Collection Year: 2007-2008 data (OOD only), Allocation June, 2009
Collection Year: 2006-2007 data (OOD only), Allocation June, 2008
Collection Year: 2005-2006 data (OOD only), Allocation June, 2007
Technical assistance will be available between normal business hours 8:00am to 4:30pm Monday through Friday.
Phone: (303) 378-2296
Exceptional Student Services Unit
Colorado Department of Education
1560 Broadway Street, Suite 1175
Denver, CO 80202
Receptionist: (303) 866-6694
General Professional III
Director of Finance and Operations
Phone: (303) 866-6442
If you have problems finding something and/or questions about our website, please contact our Web Coordinator and be sure to copy the URL into the email to reference the page with the problem.