You are here

Dispute Resolution

Dispute Resolution Options

The Colorado Department of Education (CDE) offers three options under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act for resolving disputes related to special education: mediation, state complaints, and due process complaints. Click on a button below for more information on each option.

Compare Dispute Resolution Options

Parent and Child Rights in Special Education

The Procedural Safeguards Notice explains the rights of a parent of a student with a disability and the procedures that protect those rights under state and federal special education law, including the Exceptional Children's Educational Act (ECEA) and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).

ECEA and IDEA require that a school district, a board of cooperative educational services (BOCES), or a State Operated Program provide the Procedural Safeguards Notice to parents at least once per year and on the following occasions: upon initial referral or on request for evaluation; upon receipt of the first state complaint and upon receipt of the first due process complaint in a school year; upon a disciplinary change of placement; or upon parent request. With parental agreement, a public agency can provide a parent an electronic copy of the procedural safeguards notice (e.g., through email) instead of a paper copy.

Helpful Resources 

Contact Us

Brandon Edelman, Esq.
Supervisor, Dispute Resolution
Email Brandon

Gloria Alaniz
Dispute Resolution Paralegal & Coordinator
Email Gloria

CiCi Lyman
Program Support
Email CiCi

Ashley Schubert, Esq.
State Complaints Officer
Email Ashley

Rachel Dore, Esq.
State Complaints Officer
Email Rachel

Nick Podsiadlik, Esq.
State Complaints Officer
Email Nick

Nick Butler, Esq.
State Complaints Officer
Email Nick

Exceptional Student Services Unit, 1560 Broadway, Suite 1100, Denver, CO 80202 | Phone: 303-866-6694, Fax: 303-866-6767

Having trouble with this webpage?


If you have problems with broken links or accessing the content on this page, please contact the Exceptional Student Services Unit at Please copy the URL link for this page into the email when referencing the problem you are experiencing.