CDE will be closed on Thursday, Nov. 26 and Friday, Nov. 27 for the Thanksgiving holiday.
You are here
Child Find for Children Birth to Age 5
About Child Find
Child Find is part of Colorado's system for identifying children suspected of having a delay in development. If a young child is not meeting typical developmental milestones, or someone is concerned about the child’s growth or learning, child find teams will evaluate how the child plays, learns, speaks, behaves and moves. The purpose of the evaluation is to determine if there is a significant delay or if there is a need for early intervention or special education services. Evaluations conducted by Child Find teams are at no cost to parents.
- For children from birth to three years of age, Child Find teams partner with local Early Intervention Colorado programs who provide service coordination and eligibility determination.
- Children three to five years old are evaluated as a part of the preschool special education process.
Developing a Plan
Once the Child Find evaluation team, which includes the parents, has gathered enough information to determine if the child meets eligibility criteria for early intervention or preschool special education services, an Individual Family Service Plan (IFSP) or an Individual Education Plan (IEP) is developed and services will begin shortly.
Who do I contact?
- Local Child Find Contacts for preschool aged children 3 through 5 years, including preschool children who attend a charter school.
- For school age child find go to the CDE Office of Special Education.
- To request an evaluation for a child under 3 years of age contact the Community Centered Board in your area.
Children under age three eligible for early intervention services receive services at home or in community settings as outlined in their IFSP. Preschool special education services for children three to five years of age are provided by local school districts and Boards of Cooperative Educational Services (BOCES) in inclusive preschool classrooms. Early childhood services and resources designed to support the individual educational needs of young children. Learn more about Preschool Special Education Services.