CDE will be closed on Friday, July 3 for the Independence Day holiday.
You are here
Homeless Education Resources
State and National Organizations
- SERVE: The National Center for Homeless Education at SERVE. The Center provides research, resources, and information enabling communities to address the educational needs of children and youth experiencing homelessness.
- National Association for the Education of Homeless Children and Youth (NAEHCY): NAEHCY connect educators, parents, advocates, researchers, and service providers to ensure school enrollment and attendance, and overall success for children and youth whose lives have been disrupted by the lack of safe, permanent, and adequate housing.
- US Department of Education (DOE): DOE's mission is to promote student achievement and preparation for global competitiveness by fostering educational excellence and ensuring equal access.
- Colorado Coalition for the Homeless: The mission of the Colorado Coalition for the Homeless is to work collaboratively toward the prevention of homelessness and the creation of lasting solutions for homeless and at-risk families, children, and individuals throughout Colorado.
- Hunger Free Colorado: The organization addresses policy change, collaborative programming, and strategic resource development, targeted awareness building, and measuring progress. It was formed from the restructuring of the Colorado Anti-Hunger Network and Colorado Food Bank Association.
- United Way 211 Information: 2-1-1 is an easy-to-remember and universally recognizable number that makes a critical connection between individuals and families in need and the appropriate community-based organizations and government agencies. 211 online has a database of local resources at your fingertips.
- NCHE Migrant Children and Youth Experiencing Homelessness brief (PDF): This brief identifies the key provisions of the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act Dealing with migrant children and youth experiencing homelessness and offers strategies for implementations.
- CDE's Migrant Education Webpage
Special Education and Homelessness
- Tips for Helping Students (PDF)
Those Recovering from Traumatic Events
- Individual with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) (PDF)
Reauthorization 2004 at a Glance
- Quick Turn Around (PDF)
A brief analysis of a critical issue in special education - Project Forum
- Connecting Homeless Students to Special Eduation Service (PDF)
National Law Center on Homelessness & Poverty
- Homeless and Special Education Administrative Collaboration (PDF)
Recommendations focus on the areas of expediting enrollment and the provision of services, and coordinating programs and services