CDE Policy and Documents
Topics covered include: Staff training on data use, security breaches, personally identifiable student data, and requirements for data sharing agreements.
The Department has developed a review and approval process for all agreements that involve the sharing of PII. That process incorporates several of the documents and resources on this web page. We have also combined these documents into a single packet so users can conveniently reference the review and approval process in its entirety.
Topics covered include: Creation of a data index; security breaches; data sharing agreements; disclosure of student data for studies on behalf of the district and for audits, evaluation, or compliance monitoring; and parent notification about and access to student records.
- Data Collection Opt Out Requests
To support Colorado school districts on data collection issues, CDE prepared this guidance for local education agencies when responding to requests that no personally identifiable information (PII) about student(s) is transmitted by a district to CDE’s data collection system.
Topics covered include: What student information is collected by CDE, how is student information is used, where the information is stored, how the information is safeguarded, who has access to student data, when data is archived/deleted, and student privacy safeguards.
This document explains the process by which student information collected by CDE may be obtained by a parent/legal guardian.
Confidentiality Agreements and Training
CDE requires all employees that self-identify as being involved in evaluation and/or research activities to complete the “National Institute of Health, Office of Extramural Research, Protecting Human Research Participants” training, and renew it every two years. External researchers are expected to complete this training (or equivalent) prior to using and/or obtaining any staff- or student-level data from CDE.
This document outlines the manner in which CDE staff is to utilize data and protect personally identifiable information. A signed agreement form is required from all CDE staff to verify agreement to adhere to/abide by these practices. The failure to adhere to guidelines may result in personnel action, up to and including termination.
- Data Dictionary - List of all data collected by CDE.
Reports and Other Documents on
Student Data Privacy and Security
- Guidance for Schools and Districts: Best Practices for Keeping Parents Informed About Student Data Collection
- Data Quality Campaign Video: Who Uses Student Data?
- Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA)
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- Privacy & Cloud Computing in Public Schools (from Fordham Center on Law & Information Policy)
- Protecting Student Privacy in Connected Learning
- Protection of Pupil Rights Amendment (PPRA)
- Uninterrupted Scholars Act Guidance
- Video: Who Uses Student Data?