Colorado Business and Economic Information
Revised October 2011
By Colorado State Publications Library
General and specific resources to assist businesses plus
information about economic development in the state are available
from various Colorado government agencies. The following are
selected Internet sites and
in this area. The print publications may be borrowed from the State
Publications Library as described in the last paragraph.
- Colorado Business Resources - The official source for
online services and information ranging from starting a business
to hiring employees to filing business records to laws and
- Demography Information Services and State Data Center
- In addition to census data, this site contains base industry
analysis, economic projections, personal income, employment by
sector at the state, regional, and county levels.
- Department of Labor and Employment - This web page
includes links to areas such as employment services,
unemployment benefits, workers' compensation, labor standards,
Workforce Centers, veterans services, job market, and public
- Inflation - Historic CPI (Consumer Price Index or
inflation) plus current forecasts or actual figures from several
state agencies and the federal government.
- Office of Economic Development and International Trade
- This office works with companies starting, expanding, or
relocating in Colorado. Services include minority business,
women's business, small business programs, SBDC's,
International Trade Office and Tourism Office.
- Office of Information Technology - This office works
to attract advanced and emerging technology industries, promote
technology education for citizens, and establish technological
solutions enabling efficient delivery of government services.
- Regulatory Agencies - This agency encompasses eight
different divisions plus several offices that regulate
businesses and individuals in the public interest and include
insurance, real estate, PUC, securities, and civil rights. This
web site includes a searchable occupation and business database.
- Secretary of State, Business Center - Index page with
links to everything from a searchable database of business
records to a new business checklist to business name
- Small Business Air Quality Assistance - This program
provides non-regulatory environmental assistance to small
businesses through workshops, phone assistance, on-site visits,
fact sheets, etc. The emphasis is on pollution prevention
opportunities to get small business into a less burdensome
- Starting a Business in Colorado - Use "Colorado Business Express" to
find out how to register a new business, file business articles,
open tax accounts, licensing, advice and classes and more.
- State Tax Information - Department of Revenue site
with links to personal and business tax resources and
- Trade Names, Trademarks, Business Names -
Searchable database to register, change, or locate any of these
entities through the Secretary of State's Office.
- Travel Industry Research - tourism and
travel market data, economic impacts, travel and tourism
indicators, etc. (Use links on the left under "Research" to
- Colorado Business/Economic Outlook Forum (annual
Call Number: HED2/20.9/current year
Publisher: Boulder CO, University of Colorado, College of Business and Administration. Also available via the Internet
- Colorado Business Resource Guide
Call Number: GOV34/1.8/G94/current year
Publisher: Denver, Colorado Office of Economic Development and International Trade. Created to provide general information to assist in the starting up and operation of a small business, whether it is new or an established business.
- Colorado Data Book: Statistics and comparisons of key
indicators to evaluate Colorado's economic climate and to
provide information of special interest to the business
community. (annual publication)
Call Number: GOV34/10.2/EC2/current year
Publisher: Denver CO, Colorado Office of Economic Development and International Trade Research and Special Projects Division. Also available via the Internet.
- Colorado Economic Forecast: A quarterly publication
reviewing and forecasting the economic and revenue situation for
Call Number: GOV3.12/year/month
Publisher: Denver, Office of State Planning & Budgeting, quarterly. Also available via the Internet.
- Colorado Travel Year 2010: Final Report
Call Number: GOV34/15.11
Publisher: Denver CO, Longwoods International, 2011, 196 pages. Available via the Internet only.
- Economic Development Reports
Call Number: UCSU5/2.13/EDR year/issue
Publisher: Colorado State University. Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics. Also available via the Internet.
- Economic Impact of Airports in Colorado 2008
Call Number: TRA10.2/EC7/2008/INTERNET
Publisher: prepared for Colorado Department of Transportation, Division of Aeronautics ; prepared by Wilbur Smith Associates Inc. with KRAMER aerotek, Inc., [and] the Metropolitan State College of Denver., 2008.
- Focus Colorado: Economic and Revenue Forecast
Call Number: GA4.17/quarterly
Publisher: Denver, Colorado Legislative Council, quarterly publication. Also available via the Internet.
- Food and Agricultural Directory
Call Number: AG6.2/F73/INTERNET
Publisher: Denver, Colorado Department of Agricultural, Division of Markets
Database is searchable by company, category, contact, county, and product. Also available is an information submission form.
- Insurance Industry Statistical Report Call
Number: REG4.1/annual Publisher: Denver, CO, Commissioner of
Insurance, annual publication.
To borrow any of these print publications, contact the State Publications Library, 201 E. Colfax Ave., Room 314, Denver CO 80203; 303/866-6725; fax 303/866-6940. Hours are 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. Publications may also be available at depository libraries that carry state government documents, or through interlibrary loan. For further information, access the web site: http://www.cde.state.co.us/stateinfo
For additional information, E-Mail: email@example.com