Revised May 2017
By Colorado State Publications Library
General and specific resources to assist businesses plus information about economic development in the state are available from various Colorado government agencies. The following are selected Internet sites and print publications in this area. The print publications may be borrowed from the State Publications Library as described in the last paragraph.
- Colorado Business Resources - The official source for online services and information ranging from starting a business to hiring employees to filing business records to laws and regulations.
- Colorado Market Maker - Agritourism Directory from the Colorado Deparment of Agriculture. Includes an interactive mapping application with market research data and census information.
- Department of Labor and Employment - This web page includes links to areas such as employment services, unemployment benefits, workers' compensation, labor standards, Workforce Centers, veterans services, job market, and public safety regulations.
- Inflation - Historic CPI (Consumer Price Index or inflation) plus current forecasts or actual figures from several state agencies and the federal government.
- Office of Economic Development and International Trade - This office works with companies starting, expanding, or relocating in Colorado. Services include minority business, women's business, small business programs, SBDC's, International Trade Office and Tourism Office.
- Office of Information Technology - This office works to attract advanced and emerging technology industries, promote technology education for citizens, and establish technological solutions enabling efficient delivery of government services.
- Regulatory Agencies - This agency encompasses eight different divisions plus several offices that regulate businesses and individuals in the public interest and include insurance, real estate, PUC, securities, and civil rights. This web site includes a searchable occupation and business database.
- Secretary of State, Business Center - Index page with links to everything from a searchable database of business records to a new business checklist to business name registration.
- Small Business Air Quality Assistance - This program provides non-regulatory environmental assistance to small businesses through workshops, phone assistance, on-site visits, fact sheets, etc. The emphasis is on pollution prevention opportunities to get small business into a less burdensome regulatory process.
- Starting a Business in Colorado - Use "Colorado Business Express" to find out how to register a new business, file business articles, open tax accounts, licensing, advice and classes and more.
- State Demography Office - In addition to census data, this site contains base industry analysis, economic projections, personal income, employment by sector at the state, regional, and county levels.
- State Tax Information - Department of Revenue site with links to personal and business tax resources and statistics.
- Trade Names, Trademarks, Business Names - Searchable database to register, change, or locate any of these entities through the Secretary of State's Office.
- Travel Industry Research - tourism and travel market data, economic impacts, travel and tourism indicators, etc. (Use links on the left under "Research" to access reports)
- Colorado Business/Economic Outlook Forum (annual publication)
Call Number: HED2/20.9/current year
Publisher: Boulder CO, University of Colorado, College of Business and Administration.
- Colorado Business Resource Book
Call Number: GOV34/1.8/G94/current year
Publisher: Denver, Colorado Office of Economic Development and International Trade. Created to provide general information to assist in the starting up and operation of a small business, whether it is new or an established business.
- Colorado Economic Forecast: A quarterly publication reviewing and forecasting the economic and revenue situation for Colorado.
Call Number: GOV3.12/year/month
Publisher: Denver, Office of State Planning & Budgeting, quarterly.
- Colorado Travel Year
Call Number: GOV34/15.11
Publisher: Denver CO, Longwoods International. Not available in print.
- Economic Development Reports
Call Number: UCSU5/2.13/EDR year/issue
Publisher: Colorado State University. Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Economic Impact of Colorado Airports 2013
Division of Aeronautics, Colorado Department of Transportation
- Focus Colorado: Economic and Revenue Forecast
Call Number: GA4.17/quarterly
Publisher: Denver, Colorado Legislative Council, quarterly publication.
- Insurance Industry Statistical Report
Call Number: REG4.1/annual
Publisher: Denver, CO, Commissioner of Insurance, annual publication.
To borrow any of these print publications, contact the State Publications Library, 201 E. Colfax Ave., Room 314, Denver CO 80203; 303/866-6725; fax 303/866-6940. Hours are 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. Publications may also be available at depository libraries that carry state government documents, or through interlibrary loan. For further information, access the web site: http://www.cde.state.co.us/stateinfo
For additional information, E-Mail: email@example.com