Making the Connection Between Health and Learning
Funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) through 2013, the Colorado Coalition for Healthy Schools supports statewide infrastructure and systems to promote healthy schools through policy, surveillance and partnerships. The Coalition is managed through an interagency partnership between the Colorado Department of Education and the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.
The Coalition promotes CDC’s Coordinated School Health model with schools and districts to identify and address their priority school health issues. Coordinated School Health is a framework that addresses health focusing on eight components including Health Education, Physical Education and Activity, Health Services, Nutrition Services, Counseling, Psychological, and Social Services, Healthy and Safe School Environment, Health Promotion for Staff and Family/Community Involvement.
The next CCHS meeting is on Friday, March 7, 2014 from 8:30-3:30 at the Wheat Ridge Rec Center, 4005 Kipling St., Wheat Ridge, CO 80033.
Please register by Friday, February 28, 2014 at:
Our last Coalition meeting on June 7, 2013 reviewed:
- Current state legislation and implications for schools
- Role of adolescent development in healthy decision making
- Integration of a positive youth development approach to school health
- August 9, 2011 Coalition Presentations on:
- HB11-1069: Physical Activity Expectations in Schools
- HB 11-1069: Key Messages
- HB 11-1069: FAQs
- HB 1254: Bullying Prevention
- HB 1254: FAQs
- How to Intervene to Stop Bullying
- Bullying Among Children and Youth on Perceptions and Differences in Sexual Orientation
- Bullying Among Children and Youth with Disabilities and Special Needs
- May 10, 2011 Coalition Presentations on:
- 2009 Youth Risk Behavior Survey Data
- State of Adolescent Health
- STI and HIV in Colorado
- Putting Data to Work
- Birds and the Bees
- Roles for a School
- MyLifeColorado Website
- Click here to access charts and graphs from the Healthy Kids Colorado Survey 2009 State Report
- Student Wellness Grants (PDF)
- Overview of House Bill 1224 power point (PPT)
- Beverage Rules (PDF)
- 2009 Youth Risk Behavior Survey Results
- Survey Summary (PDF)-Provides a summary of your sample, including the number of participating students and schools, response rates, and weighted percentages of students by demographic characteristics.
- Summary Graphs (PPT)-Contains color bar graphs representing both "positive" and "negative" results for selected behaviors.
- Summary Tables (PDF)-Contains the weighted percentage of students for each "response of interest (ROI)" for each question and each supplemental variable. The ROI represents a predetermined combination of response options.
- Graphs (PPT)-Contains color bar charts based on data from the Summary Tables.
- 2009 YRBS Summary Fact Sheet
- Brochure about Colorado Connections for Healthy Schools (PDF)
Send an e-mail to sign-up for information on training, grants and resources for schools.