Skills that Matter: Teaching Interpersonal and Intrapersonal Competencies in Any Classroom (Tri-State Webinar Series)
Audience: Educators, Other District/School Staff | Topic: Autism, Special Education | Hosted by: Office of Special Education
Originally aired January 31, 2018
Presenter Amy Gaumer Erickson, Ph.D.
After viewing this webinar participants will:
- Explain the College and Career Competency Framework to a colleague.
- Describe the College and Career Competency Implementation Roadmap.
- Have started to explore outcomes and instructional strategies to teach and provide opportunities for students to practice specific competencies.
- Know how to access a plethora of free resources on interpersonal and intrapersonal competencies.
- Thinking about your personal career path, which 3 competencies had the greatest impact?
- Which competencies would you like your students to further develop?
- Which competencies make a good leader?
- In reference to the research conclusions – which outcomes did you expect and which ones are you surprised to see?
- Practice synthesizing –jot down a few key points regarding how the competencies on the wheel were identified and why these competencies are important.
- Could a 20-minute lesson on assertiveness address all six instructional criteria? Why or why not.
- Per the competency questionnaire, students rate themselves the lowest at PLANNING. Why do you think planning is the lowest?
- Out of the top 10 outcomes for self-regulation, which outcome would you like to see improve in your students and why?
- What would you like your students to self-regulate?
- Share (or write) how you currently support students to self-regulate and what you’re going to do in the future to expand instruction and practice in self-regulation.
- If students were to be able to be assertive, what other competencies might this impact and why?
- Share (or write) how you currently support students to be assertive and what you’re going to do in the future to expand instruction and practice of assertiveness.
- What is your definition of learning?
- Which domain focuses on capacities related to cooperation and interaction with others?
- Which domain focuses on internal, reflective capacities?
- To make it on the wheel, what is one requirement of a competency?
- Why is facilitating practice on all components of a competency so important?
- Who is responsible for helping students develop intrapersonal and interpersonal competencies?
- The Title of the Webinar
- Your Full Name
- Your Email Address
- Your School District
- Your Role (Teacher, para, SLP, etc.)
- Your answer(s) to the above study questions
(type each question and add your answer below it)
Watch the Webinar
PowerPoint & Handouts:
- PowerPoint: The Skills That Matter (PDF)
- Workbook: The Skills That Matter - Framework Overview (PDF)
Contact InformationAmanda Timmerman
Once you have completed the requirements of this webinar, you will be sent your certificate (approximately 60 minutes of Professional Development Hours)