ASD Communication Toolkit - Steamboat Springs
Audience: Educators, Other District/School Staff | Topic: Autism, Special Education | Hosted by: Office of Special Education
New Two-Day Training!
This two day training is in response to feedback from administrators and teachers/service providers working with students with ASD. Participants must come with a student(s) in mind, along with a basic summary of the student's current communication skill levels. We will use these individual student profiles during training (do not provide any student identifying information, please). This training is designed to:
- Support certified school personnel in the understanding of how to formally/informally evaluate students’ functional communication abilities
- Help participants develop a rationale and plan around “where to start”when developing communication systems for students with early emerging communication skills
- Establish a shared foundation of underlying communication, language,and behavior skills and terminology
- Discuss evidence-based practices (EBPs) and match practice to the characteristics of individual students with ASD, including time to practice implementation of some of the most widely used EBPs
- Give participants a variety of tools/resources to support students with ASD in developing a functional communication system
- Provide options for progress monitoring and subsequent planning around communication
- Encourage IEP teams, building teams and district teams, to attend this training together so that communicative opportunities for students are maximized across learning environments
- Follow up with participants through virtual coaching (1 hour requirement within 6-8 weeks of the two day training completion)
Please note that to receive the full 15 hour credit for this training, you must attend a 1-hour ZOOM virtual follow up meeting. In this small-group meeting, participants will share an evidence-based practice used/tried to support communication system development within individual school settings. This workshop is designed for those who already have a solid foundational understanding of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
A working lunch will be NOT be provided at the training. Time will be given for participants to leave. Please plan accordingly.
The Exceptional Student Services Unit of the Colorado Department of Education provides the funding for the presenters and venue space. Venue space is also provided by a hosting school district/AU. There are no costs to the participant.
Event Date and Time
- Wednesday, February 26, 2020 (All day) to Thursday, February 27, 2020 (All day)
325 7th St.
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Those who attend the full 2-day training and 1-hour follow-up virtual meeting will receive 15 CDE hours in the form of a certificate of attendance; partial credit will not be given.
Contact InformationJanet Zimmermann
Register now for ASD Communication Toolkit - Steamboat Springs More Info about ASD Communication Toolkit - Steamboat Springs