2020 Colorado Academic Standards Online
Use the options below to create customized views of the 2020 Colorado Academic Standards. For all standards resources, see the Office of Standards and Instructional Support.
Current selections are shown below (maximum of five)
clear Content Area: Comprehensive Health // Grade Level: Kindergarten // Standard Category: 4. Prevention and Risk Management
Kindergarten, Standard 4. Prevention and Risk Management
- 6. Apply knowledge and skills that promote healthy, violence-free relationships.
1. Explain the importance of respecting the personal space and boundaries of self and others.
- Identify "appropriate" and "inappropriate" touches.
- Identify characteristics of a trusted adult.
- Demonstrate how to tell a parent or trusted adult if inappropriate touching occurs to self or others.
- Explain the importance of personal space in the classroom and around others.
- Explore how situations, settings, cultures and individuals have varied rules about personal space. (Civic/Interpersonal Skills: Global/Cultural Awareness)
- Examine how boundaries are applied to nations, cities and people. (Civic/Interpersonal Skills: Global/Cultural Awareness)
- Demonstrate and understanding of why individuals have the right to personal space and boundaries. (Civic/Interpersonal Skills: Character)
- Identify when it is appropriate and demonstrate how to communicate with a trusted adult. (Civic/Interpersonal Skills: Communication)
- What is personal space?
- Why might one person’s personal space be different from another person’s?
- What would it be like if nobody respected anybody else?
- What is privacy?
- Can verbal comments intrude on your personal space?
2. Explain safe behavior as a pedestrian and with motor vehicles.
- Explain safe behavior when getting on and off and while riding on school buses.
- Explain the importance of riding in the back seat and using safety belts and motor vehicle booster seats when one is a passenger in a motor vehicle.
- Recognize and describe the meaning of traffic signs.
- Describe how rules at school can help to prevent injuries.
- Demonstrate safe pedestrian behaviors.
- Examine how crosswalk and traffic signs change based on new research about how children see and react to symbols. (Entrepreneurial Skills: Inquiry/Analysis)
- Identify how vehicles and streets are places with hazards and require careful attention. (Personal Skills: Personal Responsibility)
- Identify personal strategies can be learned to develop and to avoid, reduce, and cope with unhealthy, risky, or potentially unsafe situations. (Personal Skills: Personal Responsibility)
- What are some things that can happen if everyone runs around and pushes each other?
- What would it be like if there weren't any rules for cars or pedestrians?
3. Demonstrate effective communication skills in unsafe situations.
- Demonstrate verbal and nonverbal ways to ask a parent or trusted adult for help about an unsafe situation.
- Describe how to call 911 or other emergency numbers for help.
- Define and explain the dangerous use of weapons and how to tell a trusted adult if you see or hear about someone having a weapon.
- Identify unsafe or risky situations around the home, school, and community.
- Identify how other forms of technology can be used to communicate in an emergency situation. (Entrepreneurial Skills: Inquiry/Analysis)
- Apply effective communication skills in an emergency situation using both verbal, nonverbal, and various technologies. (Civic/Interpersonal Skills: Communication)
- Identify how personal strategies that can be used to develop, avoid, reduce, and cope with unhealthy, risky, or potentially unsafe situations. (Personal Skills: Personal Responsibility)
- What would happen if you were lost and you didn't know how to ask for help?
- What would you do if you found a gun?
- In addition to a phone, how else could you get help when you are at home? In a car?
- Without using words, what are ways you could let someone know you need help?
Need Help? Submit questions or requests for assistance to email@example.com