You are here
School Guidance - Student Learning Materials and Property Pick Up
Schools planning for distance learning during closures may be considering the distribution of student learning materials and the gathering of personal items. Each school will need to plan these events in a manner that minimizes the risk of exposure to COVID-19 to their school community members. Plans should take the following factors into consideration.
Measures to Control the Spread of COVID-19
- Face Covering Guidance
- Group sizes should be limited to 10 individuals
- Space individuals 6 feet apart
- Mark the floor with tape every 6 feet to remind people about safe distancing
- Frequently and thoroughly clean and disinfect all frequently touched objects such as doorknobs and handrails CDPHE Environmental Cleaning Guidance for COVID-19
- Staff should wear disposable gloves when cleaning and disinfecting surfaces. Gloves should be discarded after cleaning and disinfecting is completed. Ensure that staff properly wash their hands immediately after gloves are removed.
- Remind staff, parents and students to cough or sneeze into their sleeved arm or cover their nose and mouth with a tissue. Throw away the tissue after they use it and wash hands.
- Remind staff, parents and students to avoid touching their eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Exclude children, staff, parents and guardians from the school site for the following reasons:
- They are showing symptoms of COVID-19 or have tested positive for the disease: Fever, cough, shortness of breath, body aches
- They have been in contact with someone who is being treated as if they have COVID-19, with or without positive test verification, within the last 14 days
- They are at high risk: Older, pregnant, or have a chronic health condition
- Use signage to notify staff, students and parents warning them not to enter if they have any of the above symptoms and risk factors
Suggested Strategies for Pick-up Event
- Staggered pick-up options
- Schedule groups alphabetically
- Schedule families by appointment
- Conduct the event over multiple days
- Limit group sizes and opportunities to congregate
- Ask parents to consider limiting the number of family members that arrive to school site if possible
- Use multiple entrances and assign to different groups
- Monitor hallways
- Limit the pickup time
- Consider drive-up service and deliver to parent cars
- Consider using large spaces that allow individuals to keep 6 feet apart: Halls, cafeterias, gymnasiums
- If possible, set up stations outside, keeping a 6 feet distance between individuals
- Reduce the spread of COVID-19 during material pick up
- Ask parents to bring their own pen for sign out
- No pen should be shared
- If electronic devices are used for sign out, sanitize the keyboards and screens between use
- Ask individuals not to use the drinking fountain or cover fountains with plastic bags.
- If possible, bag and label student materials and personal items and hand out to parent/child
- Parents/students should not be cleaning lockers and/or desks during this time
- Staff, parents and students should adhere to social distancing
- Consider plans for returning student medications to parents
- Coordinate the handling of medications with the school nurse
- Ensure that confidentiality is maintained during medication pick up
- In the event that a parent/guardian is unable to pick up materials and belongings
- Allow parents to send a designated adult with a written note
- Consider providing home delivery for special circumstances
Please work directly with your Local Public Health Agency for further instructions.
- CDE COVID-19 Resources for Schools
- CDPHE – Schools, workplaces & community
- CDPHE – What to do when school is closed
Created in collaboration with CDPHE 3/23/2020