With the passage of the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) and with revisions to the state’s Educational Accountability Act (HB 17-1355), Colorado is taking the opportunity to change the way school improvement (1003a through ESSA and the Transformation grant through HB 17-1355) funds are awarded to LEAs. Rather than multiple applications on separate timelines, CDE is now streamlining school improvement opportunities into a single application and using a “needs-based approach” to award services and funding. Ultimately, the intent is to develop a robust process of matching schools’ needs with rigorous, evidence-based strategies and adequate resources. Additionally, awarded funds will enhance districts’ and schools’ ability to meet the ESSA and state requirements (e.g., stakeholder engagement, improvement plan, implementation of evidence-based interventions) in a way that directly benefits students.
Colorado is committed to aligning federal and state accountability to the degree possible. These grant funds are aimed at districts with schools that are designated as (1) Comprehensive Support and Improvement (CS) and Targeted Support and Improvement (TS), Additional Targeted Support and Improvement (A-TS) under ESSA, and (2) Priority Improvement or Turnaround through the state accountability system. Specific eligibility and prioritization requirements for each support is detailed in the Menu of Supports and the application.
EASI Application Routes
The application has been organized into four different routes: exploration supports, district designed and led, offered supports, and continuation. The routes have different criteria and ways of awarding funds geared to a specific intent. A summary of the routes and the individual services or opportunities can be found below. Additional detail (e.g., eligibility criteria, prioritization guidelines, evaluation requirements, local commitments) for each program or opportunity is available below.
LEA is interested in funds and/or services to explore a solution (e.g., planning, community engagement) for the identified school(s) or particular populations within an identified school. This is a planning phase with a small allocation for implementation activities. Opportunities include: Diagnostic Review, Community Engagement and Improvement Planning.
- Holistic Review Providers
- English Language Development (ELD) Review
- Focused Review on Early Literacy (PK-3)
- Special Education Service Review
District Designed and Led Improvement Strategies
LEA has a plan or is already implementing a plan that meets school(s) needs and is interested in pursuing grant funds to support activities.
LEA is interested in applying for an existing CDE sponsored program or support aimed at improving school systems. Opportunities include: Accountability Pathways Planning and Implementation, Colorado Multi-tiered System of Supports (CO-MTSS), Connect for Success, Early Literacy, School Turnaround Network and School Turnaround Leaders Development Program
- Accountability Pathways Planning and Implementation
- Connect for Success
- School Turnaround Network
- Colorado Multi-Tiered System of Supports (CO-MTSS)
- School Turnaround Leaders Development Program
- Fundamentals of Literacy Instruction Training
Continuation of CDE Offered Services
Identified school(s) is already participating in a program (e.g., Connect for Success, Turnaround Network). CDE and the LEA agree that continuing participation will result in improved results for the school.
Current grantees will work directly with CDE staff to fulfill current grant requirements. Please contact your program contact with any questions.
EASI Application: Due Wednesday, November 14th, 2018 by 11:59pm
To access the Online Application: Each interested LEA must designate an Application Contact and submit the name and contact information via an online survey monkey form.
Once contact information has been submitted and when the application is open, access instructions will be emailed to the Application Contact.
2018-19 EASI Application Resources
- EASI Application Planning Document (PDF) - Note: This resource is intended to provide information on EASI and to be used in planning responses to the application.
- For an alternate version of this information, please contact Kim Burnham at EASI@cde.state.co.us
- EASI Application Rubrics (DOC)
- This document is provided as a resource to assist you in planning with your schools.
- EASI Online System Handbook (DOC) (Coming Soon!)
- 2018-19 Eligibility List (XLS)
- CO-MTSS Team Membership Form (PDF) (Attachment C)
- EASI Approval and Transmittal Form (PDF) (Attachment D)
- EASI Approval and Transmittal Form (DOC) (Attachment D)
2018-19 Technical Assistance
Virtual Office Hours
Dedicated technical assistance time with CDE staff members (via web-conference) may be scheduled in 15-30 minute time slots on the following dates:
- Wednesday, October 17, from 2:00-3:00 p.m.
- Friday, October 19, from 9:00-10:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, October 24, from 2:00-3:30 p.m.
- Friday, October 26, from 9:00-10:30 a.m.
Application Information Webinar
An application training webinar was recorded on Wednesday, October 3. The following resources from the webinar are available:
- EASI Application Training Webinar Recording
- EASI Application Training Webinar PowerPoint (PPT)
- EASI Application Webinar Questions (DOC)