You are here
Homeless Higher Education - Resources
National and Colorado Higher Education Contacts for Unaccompanied Homeless Youth
NAEHCY Higher Education Helpline
The NAEHCY Higher Education Helpline provides assistance with issues related to students experiencing homelessness accessing higher education.
- The Unaccompanied Homeless Youth Tip Sheet for Colorado Higher Education McKinney-Vento Single Points of Contact (SPOCs) – provides valuable information regarding UHY definitions, the interview and determination process, higher education best practices and the financial aid process.
- List of McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Liaisons.
- Excerpts from the Application and Verification Guide (AVG) that pertain to independent status for unaccompanied homeless youth for the purpose of financial aid.
- The full Application and Verification Guide
- Quiz on Unaccompanied Youth and the FAFSA (NAEHCY)
- Recommendations for Transitioning Unaccompanied Homeless Youth to Higher Education - This Colorado tip sheet lists strategies for providing a welcoming environment and an effective support response for unaccompanied homeless youth in institutions of higher education.
- Increasing Access to Higher Education for Unaccompanied Homeless Youth: Information for Colleges and Universities (issue brief)
- NCHE/NASFAA Higher Education Awareness Posters in English or Spanish
National Association for the Education of Homeless Children and Youth website
- NCHE Higher Education Information by Topic webpage
- NCHE Scholarships Information by Topic webpage
- Making Student Status Determinations for Unaccompanied Homeless Youth: Eligibility Tool for Financial Aid Administrators - This form, developed collaboratively by the National Center for Homeless Education (NCHE) and the National Association for the Education of Homeless Children and Youth (NAEHCY), is to be completed by a college financial aid administrator (FAA) who is evaluating a student’s eligibility for independent student status. It provides guidance to assist FAAs in making a determination if a student seeking independent student status as an unaccompanied homeless youth comes to the attention of a FAA when a determination by a local liaison or shelter is not available.