You are here
News Release - Six Colorado schools named 2021 national Blue Ribbon Schools
Tuesday, Sept. 21,2021
Six Colorado schools named 2021 national Blue Ribbon Schools
DENVER – The Colorado Department of Education congratulates the six Colorado schools named by U.S. Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona as 2021 National Blue Ribbon Schools, celebrating their high academic outcomes and efforts to close the achievement gap between some groups of students.
“I'm thrilled these schools are being recognized for all the hard work by students, educators, parents and communities, especially during these tough times,” said Colorado Education Commissioner Katy Anthes. “For all everyone has endured in the past year, to be recognized with such an honor is truly special."
The Colorado schools awarded are:
- High Peaks Elementary School, Boulder Valley School District Re-2.
- Carson Elementary School, Denver Public School District.
- McKinley-Thatcher Elementary School, Denver Public School District.
- William Roberts ECE-8 School, Denver Public School District.
- Valor Christian High School, Christian High School.
- North Valley Middle School, Weld County School District RE-1.
“This year’s cohort of honorees demonstrates what is possible when committed educators and school leaders create vibrant, welcoming, and affirming school cultures where rich teaching and learning can flourish,” said Secretary Cardona. “I commend all our Blue Ribbon honorees for working to keep students healthy and safe while meeting their academic, social, emotional, and mental health needs. In the face of unprecedented circumstances, you found creative ways to engage, care for, protect, and teach our children. Blue Ribbon Schools have so much to offer and can serve as a model for other schools and communities so that we can truly build back better.”
Now in its 39th year, the National Blue Ribbon Schools Program has bestowed approximately 10,000 awards to more than 9,000 schools nationwide.
The U.S. Department of Education recognizes schools in one of two performance categories, based on all student scores, subgroup student scores and graduation rates:
- Exemplary High-Performing Schools are among their state’s highest performing schools as measured by state assessments or nationally normed tests.
- Exemplary Achievement Gap-Closing Schools are among their state’s highest performing schools in closing achievement gaps between a school’s student groups and all students.
Up to 420 schools may be nominated each year. The U.S. Department of Education invites National Blue Ribbon Schools nominations from the top education official in all states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, the Department of Defense Education Activity, and the Bureau of Indian Education. Private schools are nominated by the Council for American Private Education.
Connect With Us