The eLicensing system is back online. The launch of the new and improved system has been postponed to spring 2021. Learn more.
You are here
One-Year Substitute Teacher Authorization
Preparing to Apply
Am I in the Right Place?
This checklist is for applicants seeking a one-year substitute teacher authorization to serve in a specific public school district, charter school, BOCES or approved facility school.
To qualify for a 1-year substitute authorization, you must:
- Hold a high school diploma or its equivalent
- Have received a completed verification form from the requesting school district, BOCES, charter or approved facility school (upon issuance, the authorization will be valid only in the requesting district, BOCES, charter or approved facility school)
Important Note: Once an application is submitted, we cannot change the type of authorization issued. Please be certain when completing the application that you meet the requirements for the type requested.
Not in the right place? Review the other checklists.
- You will need electronic copies of all documentation.
- Allow ample time to request any third party transcripts or other documentation.
1 year from date of issue
- Submit fingerprints to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
- Ensure you have a current background check on file. If you have submitted fingerprints for CDE credentialing in the past, but allowed all credentials to lapse, you must submit a new set of fingerprints to CBI for licensure purposes.
- Confirm you have a valid form of government-issued identification.
Within the application you must include:
- Your employment history: Include employer/business name, dates of employment, reason for leaving, work addresses, supervisor names and contact information.
- A One Year Substitute Verification Form completed by the district, BOCES, charter school or approved facility school in which you would like to serve.
- Note that if you intend to substitute for more than one employer, you will need to complete a separate application and form for each district, BOCES, charter school or approved facility school.
You are required to self-disclose and include documentation for the following:
- Past criminal history
- Disciplinary actions
- Any issues related to licensure or employment
Once you have gathered all required documentation and have reviewed the rules governing the licensure process, you are ready to complete and submit a SUBSTITUTE application.
- An application is deemed complete when CDE has received all required information, documentation and fees.
- By submitting an application, you are verifying that the application is complete, that all requested documentation has been provided and that all questions within have been answered truthfully.
- CDE will contact you within 45 days of receipt of your application should additional information be required to complete and evaluate your application. You then will have 60 days in order to submit the information, request consideration or withdraw your application, or the application will expire and you will need to reapply.
- If we do not receive your background checks within 60 days of your application, your application will expire and you will need to reapply.
- State statute prohibits the refunding of any application evaluation fee.
- Once you have submitted an application, check your status online regularly for notifications, updates and/or to print a copy of your certificate.