The eLicensing system is back online. The launch of the new and improved system has been postponed to spring 2021. Learn more.
You are here
Colorado Professional License (Administrator) Renewal
Preparing to Apply
Am I in the Right Place?
This checklist is for applicants who already hold an active (or expired) Colorado professional administrator (not principal) license -- are within 6 months of expiration (or have expired) -- and seek to renew it.
Not in the right place? Review the other checklists.
- You will need electronic copies of all requested documentation.
- Allow ample time to request any third-party transcripts or other documentation.
5 years from date of issue
- Submit fingerprints to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
- Ensure you have a current background check on file. If you have submitted fingerprints for CDE credentialing in the past, but allowed all credentials to lapse, you must submit a new set of fingerprints to CBI for licensure purposes.
- Confirm you have a valid form of government-issued identification.
- Obtain proof of completion of 6 semester hours or 90 clock hours of renewal credit completed within the validity period of your active license or within 5 years of your date of application if your license has expired.
- 1 semester hour = 15 clock hours
- 1 quarter hour = 10 contact hours
- 1 CEU = 10 contact hours
- Complete the Professional Activities Summary grid within the application upload any certificate, official transcript, school district professional development transcript or other documentation in support of the professional development activities.
Optional English learner professional learning: If you would like your credential to indicate that you have 45 contact hours of professional development in Knowledge of Culture, Diversity and Equity, you may include that information as fulfilling half of the 90 contact-hour requirement of professional development.
How to document your 45 hours:
- Complete an approved program and include a copy of your certificate of completion as one entry in the professional development grid (see below). OR
- Complete the English learner professional learning matrix by aligning your course content to the standards and elements. (For these hours only, you may use credit dating back further than 5 years.)
- Include the following information as one entry in the professional development grid to indicate you have met the optional 45-clock hour professional development requirements:
- Title of Activity: Enter “English learner professional learning”
- Activity Provider/Sponsor: Enter “Various”
- Start Date: Enter the first date that you began your 45 clock hour professional development
- End Date: Enter the last date that you ended your 45 clock hour professional development
- Contact Hours: Enter “45” or more
- Professional Standard: Enter “(d) Knowledge of Culture, Diversity and Equity”
- Activity Category: Enter “Ongoing Professional Development”
- Documentation: Upload the completed matrix from above
You will need to include all prior work experience:
- Include employer/business name, dates of employment, reason for leaving, work addresses, supervisor names and contact information.
You are required to self-disclose and include documentation for the following:
- Past criminal history
- Disciplinary actions
- Any issues related to licensure or employment
Once you have gathered all required documentation and have reviewed the rules governing the licensure process, you are ready to complete and submit a ADMINISTRATOR application.
- An application is deemed complete when CDE has received all required information, documentation and fees.
- By submitting an application, you are verifying that the application is complete, that all requested documentation has been provided and that all questions within have been answered truthfully.
- CDE will contact you within 45 days of receipt of your application should additional information be required to complete and evaluate your application. You then will have 60 days in order to submit the information, request consideration or withdraw your application, or the application will expire and you will need to reapply.
- If we do not receive your background checks within 60 days of your application, your application will expire and you will need to reapply.
- State statute prohibits the refunding of any application evaluation fee.
- Once you have submitted an application, check your status online regularly for notifications, updates and/or to print a copy of your certificate.
For questions, email CDELicensing@cde.state.co.us or call 303-866-6628.