You are here
Colorado Professional License (Administrator) Renewal
Preparing to Apply
Am I in the Right Place?
This checklist is for applicants who already hold an active (or expired) Colorado professional administrator (not principal) license and would like to renew it. You may apply to renew your license any time within six months of expiration, but no sooner. If you do not already hold a professional license, please review the other checklists and make the appropriate selection.
- You will need electronic copies of all documentation.
( Get Help with Document Scanning )
- Allow ample time to request any third party transcripts or other documentation.
5 years from date of issue
- In most cases, additional fingerprinting is not required for license renewal applications.
- If you already hold a valid, CDE-issued educational credential and have consistently maintained an active credential (authorization or license) since you submitted your fingerprints, you can skip this step. We reserve the right to evaluate your application for adherence to the fingerprint requirements and will notify you by email should any follow-up be needed.
- If you have submitted fingerprints for CDE credentialing in the past, but allowed all credentials to lapse and have held no active credential for a period exceeding 1 year, you must submit a new set of fingerprints.
- Confirm you have a valid form of government-issued identification.
( View List of Valid IDs )
- Obtain proof of completion of 6 semester hours or 90 clock hours of renewal credit.
- Note that 1 semester hour = 15 clock hours.
- Your credits must not be more than 5 years old.
- Complete the Professional Activities Summary grid found in the renewal of professional application. In the grid you will enter your professional development and upload any certificate, official transcript, school district professional development transcript, travel documents or any other documentation confirming the professional development you are submitting.
- Within the application you must include employment history for at least the past 5 years.
- Include employer/business name, dates of employment, reason for leaving, work addresses, supervisor names, and contact information.
- Include teaching experience from more than 5 years ago, if you have it.
Optional English learner professional for special service providers, principals and administrators: This is optional professional learning that you can meet during renewal and document on your educator credential. Your credential will indicate that you have 45 clock hours of professional development in Knowledge of Culture, Diversity and Equity.
How to document your 45 hours:
- Complete the English learner professional learning matrix: To meet the 45 clock hours of professional development, you must first complete the matrix aligning your course content to the standards and elements. Download and complete the matrix and save it to your computer. Note: You will upload this in the renewal grid. You may use credit dating back further than 5 years.
Note: Please keep in mind that you must complete a total of 90 clock hours in order to renew.
Learn more before proceeding: To learn more about how you can meet the standards and see examples about what this means for you individually, visit the CDE website for English learner professional development requirements.
- How to add the 45 clock hours in Knowledge of Culture, Diversity and Equity: To indicate you have met the 45 clock hour professional development requirements, you will complete the grid as indicated below:
- Title of Activity: Enter “English learner professional learning”
- Activity Provider/Sponsor: Enter “Various”
- Start Date: Enter the first date that you began your 45 clock hour professional development
- End Date: Enter the last date that you ended your 45 clock hour professional development
- Contact Hours: Enter “45” or more
- Professional Standard: Enter “(d) Knowledge of Culture, Diversity and Equity”
- Activity Category: Enter “Ongoing Professional Development”
- Documentation: Upload the completed matrix from above
- If applicable, obtain supporting documentation on the following:
- Past criminal history
- Disciplinary actions
- Any issues related to licensure or employment
Register and Apply
Once you have gathered all of the information listed above, you are ready to begin the online application process! Just register for the eLicensing system or, if you are already registered, log in.
Then, select the application titled "Administrator" to get started.
For questions, email CDELicensing@cde.state.co.us or call 303-866-6628.