You are here

Temporary Educator Eligibility Authorization (TEE) FAQ

Temporary Educator Eligibility Authorization FAQ

  1. Who can request this authorization?

This authorization is issued upon request from an administrative unit, facility school or state-operated program that is unable to employ an applicant who is appropriately endorsed in the area of assignment.  The director of special education, superintendent, chief human resources officer or appointed head of the administrative unit must certify that, after reasonable effort to hire an acceptable, appropriately licensed and endorsed applicant, none was found.  The signature of the district leader on the TEE application constitutes certification that a reasonable search for a qualified person was made and documentation of this search, i.e., copies of vacancy announcements and a distribution list must be maintained at the local level.

  1. Who is eligible to apply for this authorization?

Only those applicants seeking endorsements in a special education teaching field, special services provider field (except speech-language pathologist assistants) or special education directors are eligible for this authorization.

By signing the TEE application form, the applicant indicates his/her intention to work and remain working in the specified area; certifies that he/she has been accepted into or is enrolled in an approved program with the objective of obtaining institutional credit leading to endorsement in the specified area; and assures that he/she will obtain endorsement in the area desired within three years of application.

  1. What makes an applicant eligible for this authorization?

There are four pathways in to the TEE authorization.

  1. A currently licensed teacher in the state of Colorado wishing to add a special education teaching endorsement through the completion of an approved program or 24 credit hours (for special education generalist only). This includes Special Education Generalist, Early Childhood Special Education, Special Education Specialist: Visually Impaired or Special Education Specialist: Deaf and Hard of Hearing
  2. An applicant seeking a teaching or special services license (except SLPAs) who is currently enrolled in a traditional preparation program in an area of special education/special services. This person would need to already hold a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college/university.
  3. A special services provider who has completed a program but is lacking either a content exam or the internship/practicum hours required by licensing rules;
  4. A special education director who is currently enrolled in an approved special education director program.

Additionally, the applicant must be employed by a school district, BOCES, facility school or state-operated program to qualify.

  1. How do I apply for the TEE authorization?

Please review the application checklist  for all required documents and a link to create an COOL account.

  1. How long is the TEE valid?

The TEE is valid for one year from the date of issuance. It is renewable twice, for a total of three years, as long as the applicant shows verified, ongoing progress toward fulfilling the requirements for the full license. Those applicants applying with the intent of completing a content exam must include confirmation of exam registration.

  1. How do I renew the TEE?

To renew the TEE, complete the TEE application again, just as you did for year 1 or year 2.  In years 2 and 3, the university representative must validate that the applicant has made progress on the completion of your program and that you currently are enrolled or you will need to include test score reports that show continued attempts at fulfilling the exam requirements.

      7. What signatures are required on the application form?

  1. Applicant
  2. Authorized representative of the college or university (if enrolled in a program of study)
  3. Special education director, superintendent, chief human resources officer or appointed head of the administrative unit.

     8.  What supporting documentation may be needed for my application?

  • If you are a teacher adding an endorsement via content exam, or a special service provider missing a content exam, verification of registration for the required exam must included.
  • If you are an applicant enrolled in a program of study and are renewing your TEE, transcripts showing courses completed must be included.
  • If you are a special services provider needing to complete the internship/practicum hours required for licensure, you must attach your plan for the completion of these hours signed by your supervising mentor.

    9. What is the TEE application fee?




For questions, submit a Licensing Support Request form or call 720-739-3304 (7:30 am to 12:30 pm, Monday through Friday).