The eLicensing system is back online. The launch of the new and improved system has been postponed to spring 2021. Learn more.
You are here
Licensure Requirements for In-State Applicants
Frequently Asked Questions
I completed an approved program in Colorado but never applied for a license because I moved out of state and now hold a license in another state. Am I required to pass the assessment before applying? I have three years of full-time teaching experience in another state.
1. Do I have to pass the content area assessment before I can receive an initial license?
Yes, you must pass the Colorado State Board of Education-approved PLACE or Praxis II content assessment before you can receive an initial license.
2. Do I need transcripts from every college or university that I have attended?
Yes, you must submit official transcripts from every college or university that you've attended.
3. I completed an approved program in Colorado but never applied for a license because I moved out of state and now hold a license in another state. Am I required to pass the content area assessment before applying? I have three years of full-time teaching experience in another state.
No, applicants who have 3 or more years of verified, successful, full-time out-of-state K-12 experience in their endorsement area may be exempt from testing and induction.
This applies to teachers, principals and administrators. This does not pertain to special service providers.
4. Who signs the Approved Program Verification Form?
The dean or certification officer in the Education Department at the college or university where you completed your approved program must sign the Approved Program Verification Form.
5. Am I required to submit official transcripts with my initial license application? I already have them on file at CDE because I held a substitute authorization.
As of July 1, 2010, CDE no longer uses microfilm/microfiche to archive or access documents. You must submit official transcripts from all colleges or universities that you have attended, even if those transcripts have been previously submitted to CDE. Please have your official transcripts sent directly to you from your college or university, so that you can upload them into your application.
6. I'm a Special Services Provider. What are the minimum requirements for my area of special service?
7. How do I find a position in Colorado?
School staffing is the responsibility of each Colorado school district. Please contact districts directly regarding job openings. You can view districts based on region by selecting links on the Colorado School District Regional Map. Job openings are also regularly posted through www.teachinColorado.org.