You are here
CDE Charter School Topic-Based Webinars
CDE Schools of Choice Unit organizes Topic-Based Webinars presented by experts from the field to support the charter school community with knowledge of best practice and evolving policy changes. To receive technical assistance credit for the Colorado Charter School Program grant, complete the training request form (DOCX) and submit it to email@example.com.
English Language Development Programming in Charter Schools
How can you enhance your knowledge around obligations provided for English learners? This webinar, recorded on July 21, 2020, addressed how fulfilling obligations in the areas of state and federal requirements for ELD programs/services for English learners in Colorado, specific for charter schools, including identification, redesignation, programming, evaluation, and parent communication are key to providing learning opportunities for English learners. Listen to Lindsay Swanton and Doris Nguyen from The Office of Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Education at CDE cover a plethora of information concerning ELD programming.
Accountability & Improvement Foundations
Interested in learning more about Unified Improvement Plans (UIP) and Accountability? Recorded in June of 2020, Erin Loften and Dan Jorgensen from the Colorado Department of Education provide an in-depth training on CDE's accountability system and UIP process.
- Accountability and Data Overview Recording (Recorded on 6/2/2020)
- Accountability and Data Overview PowerPoint (pdf)
- UIP Overview & Data Analysis Recording (Recorded on 6/4/2020)
- UIP Overview & Data Analysis PowerPoint (pdf)
- UIP Action Planning & Best Practices (Recorded on 6/11/2020)
- UIP Action Planning PowerPoint (pdf)
From Survival to Quality: Refining Your Online Model to Increase Student Access to High-Quality Education
Recorded on May 12, 2020, Kaci Coats (Executive Director of The Collaborative for Exceptional Education) facilitated a discussion among four charter school leaders who are each taking specific steps to ensure their remote learning models during the time of COVID-19 are inclusive of all students. As we move towards an uncertain future for fall learning, this webinar focused on the importance of considering how to move towards a quality approach to online education.
- From Survival to Quality Resource Folder
- From Survival to Quality Recording (Introduction and Closeout)
- From Survival to Quality Webinar Recording (Breakout Rooms)
Recorded May 13, 2019, "What gets measured gets done," Denise Mund provides an overview of the data dashboard process. This critical tool helps governing boards and school leaders keep an eye on the important measurables.
Recorded March 12, 2019, Alejandra Venzor provides information on Mental Health.
CDE Educator Talent Updates
Recorded February 26, 2019, Tanya Klein and Darrin Bacca provide information on Licensing 101: Educator Licensure & Enforcement.
Bullying Prevention and Education
Recorded on January 15, 2019, Adam Collins provides information on what bullying is and who gets bullied, the impact of bullying, the Bullying Prevention and Education Grant as well as Ashawnty's Law.
- Bullying Prevention and Education Webinar Recording
- Bullying Prevention and Education PowerPoint (pdf)
The Colorado READ Act
Recorded on November 13, 2018, Sarah Vance provides information on the Colorado READ Act to celebrate November as being Family Literacy Month. The webinar includes information around terms, timelines, assessments, plans, parent notification and communication, and funding.
The Role a Charter School Plays in it's Charter Authorizer's Submission of the Consolidated Federal Programs Application
Recorded on March 13, 2018, Joey Willett provides information on the Consolidated Federal Programs Application, including what it is, who fills it out, what is being applied for, how charter schools are affected by it, what charter schools need to do to experience the benefits of the application, and upcoming timelines of which charter schools should be aware.
- The Role a Charter School Plays in it's Charter Authorizer's Submission of the Consolidated Federal Programs Application Webinar Recording
- The Role a Charter School Plays in it's Charter Authorizer's Submission of the Consolidated Federal Programs Application PowerPoint (PPTX)
Assessments, Accountability, and Unified Improvement Planning: What You Need to Know and Updates
Recorded on February 27, 2018, Bill Kottenstette, Dan Jorgensen, and Jennifer Morgan provide information on Colorado's state assessments, state accountability system, and the unified planning process, including a high-level overview and updates related to each topic and an explanation as to how these three topics relate.
- Assessments, Accountability, and Unified Improvement Planning Webinar Recording
- Assessments, Accountability, and Unified Improvement Planning PowerPoint (PPPTX)
Ensuring Enrollment Equity for Students with Disabilities in Charter Schools
Recorded on January 16, 2018, Bill Kottenstette and Toby King provide information on ensuring equity for students with disabilities seeking to enroll and enrolling in charter schools.
- Ensuring Enrollment Equity for Students with Disabilities in Charter Schools Webinar Recording
- Ensuring Enrollment Equity for Students with Disabilities in Charter Schools PowerPoint (PPTX)
Fostering a Working Relationship with Charter Authorizers
Recorded on December 5, 2017, Bill Kottenstette, Clare Vickland, and Ruben Pacheco provide information on fostering positive working relationships between a charter authorizer's board and staff and a charter school's board and staff.
Five Promising Practices for Intentional Equity
Recorded on March 10, 2020, Dr. Aaron J. Griffen, Director of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion at Denver School of Science and Technology, and Co-Founder and Chief Operating Officer of Prosperity Educators, LLC guided us through our fears of implementing diversity equity and inclusion programming. In this Topic- Based Webinar, Dr. Griffen challenges organizations to unpack the WHY and WILL to intentionally promote educational equity and ultimately encourage organizations to access your readiness to implement intentional equity into your organizational planning.
- Five Promising Practices for Intentional Equity Webinar Recording
- Five Promising Practices for Intentional Equity PowerPoint (pdf)
Equitable Distribution of Teachers
Recorded on February 27, 2020, Jeremy Meredith, ESEA Senior Consultant, Title II explains how the Colorado Department of Education compiles and evaluates Equitable Distribution of Teachers (EDT) data. Jeremy will provide strategies to charter schools in working with their authorizers to meet statutory requirements and address gaps in this area.
- Equitable Distribution of Teachers Webinar Recording
- Equitable Distribution of Teachers PowerPoint (pdf)
- Equitable Distribution of Teachers: Indicators and Document Guidance (pdf)
Foundations of Effective Governance: Session 2
Recorded on January 14, 2020, Dr. Jorgensen concludes the Effective Governance Topic-Based Webinar series. During this webinar, Dr. Jorgensen reviewed the first five principles of the ten principles of the Policy Governance and provided an in-depth analysis of the remaining five principles of Policy Governance.
- Foundations of Effective Governance: Session 2 Webinar Recording
- Foundations of Effective Governance: Session 2 PowerPoint (pdf)
Foundations of Effective Governance: Session 1
Recorded on December 3, 2019, Dr. Jorgensen provides a high-level overview of the ten principles of Policy Governance, focusing on the first five principles for the first of two training webinars in this series. The second webinar, Foundations of Effective Governance: Session 2 will be held on January 14, 2020, where the remaining five principles will be explained.
- Foundations of Effective Governance: Session 1 Webinar Recording
- Foundations of Effective Governance PowerPoint (pdf)
Understanding Special Education Teacher Retention
Recorded November 12, 2019 (rerecorded due to technical issues Dec. 13, 2019), Meagan Gillcrist discusses how to proactively plan for the retention of special educators in order to build better outcomes for diverse learners.
Kindergarten School Readiness: Assessments, Plans, and State Reporting
Recorded on November 14, 2017, Bill Kottenstette provides information on Kindergarten School Readiness, including assessments, plans, data reporting, and charter waiver requests.
Gifted Education: Requirements for Charter Schools
Recorded on March 14, 2017, Nikki Myers provides information on gifted education programming in charter schools.
- Requirements for Charter Schools Webinar Recording
- Requirements for Charter Schools PowerPoint and Presenter Notes (PPTX)
- Gifted Education: Requirements for Charter Schools in Colorado Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Additional information: It is important to use a body of evidence rather than cut-off scores only to identify students.
Recorded on February 21, 2017, Jennell Verow and Clare Vickland provide information on teacher evaluation, evaluation cycle and common challenges.
- Evaluation Practices Webinar Recording
- Evaluation Practices PowerPoint and Presenter Notes (PPTX)
- Evaluation Practices Assessment Inventory (DOCX)
- Performance Improvement Plan Template (DOCX)
- Additional information: The evaluation cycle does not need to be followed in sequence and should be tailored to your school. "Leverage Leadership" by Paul Bambrick-Santoyo is referenced as a resource.
Recorded on December 7, 2016, Susan Miller and Brian Vasina, provide information on CDE, state, and federal regulations associated with student transportation in Colorado.
- School Transportation Webinar Recording
- Additional information: Authorizers may have additional standards or policies beyond federal and state rules. .
Annual Finance Seminar
Recorded on June 15, 2016, Marti Rodriquez provides information on preparing your annual financial report, as well as changes to rules and regulations.
- Annual Finance Seminar Webinar Recording
- Annual Finance Seminar PowerPoint and Presenter Notes (PPTX)
- Sample Budget (XSLX)
- Additional information: Working on your annual financial report throughout the year may be beneficial. Allow yourself sufficient time to preparing your annual report.
Recorded March 16, 2016, Toby King and Wendy Jacobs provide information on special education in charter schools.
- Webinar Recording
- Additional information: It is the authorizer's responsibility to provide every student with the least restrictive environment. Charter schools should focus on providing professional development to staff.
Recorded February 17, 2016, Dr. Terry Croy Lewis presents information to charter school board members on effective leadership evaluation for themselves as well as school leaders.
- Leadership Self-Evaluation Webinar Recording
- Leadership Self-Evaluation PowerPoint (PPTX)
- Sample Evaluation Tool (DOCX)
- Additional information: Charter school board members often have a diverse background of experience. Creating self-evaluation tools that need to be tailored to not only the school's mission can improve leadership.