You are here
Air Quality Improvement Grants
Per SB21-202, the Public School Capital Construction Assistance Board (CCAB) is authorized to award grants for purchase of portable high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) fans or filtration systems for classrooms made on or after April 1, 2021. Funding is available for public school facilities, including school districts, charter schools, institute charter schools, boards of cooperative educational services, the Colorado School for the Deaf and the Blind and facility schools.
The CCAB is required to prioritize grant awards based on grant applicants' existing calculated local match requirements for BEST grants. Applicants with the lowest matching money requirements have the highest priority and applicants with the highest matching money requirements have the lowest priority. However, there is no local match required for these grants.
Application Closed on February 15, 2022
Thank you for your application. We are currently reviewing all applications received and will be in touch regarding awards in the next couple of weeks. Thank you for your patience.
Air Quality Improvement (AQI) Grant Reimbursements: Now Being Accepted
- Districts and authorizers with Grant Agreement Letters from the first round can now submit reimbursement requests for eligible items purchased on or after April 1, 2021
- As a reminder, authorizers must submit reimbursement requests on behalf of their charter schools. Funds will be paid to the authorizer and then distributed to the charter school.
- Reimbursements will be compiled by CDE’s Office of Capital Construction on the 10th of each month, beginning in November
- The district is responsible for purchasing units or filters in accordance with the Grant Award Letter. Receipts are not required to be submitted.
- All fund requests must be submitted by June 10, 2022 to be reimbursed prior to June 30, 2022
- Air Quality Improvement Grant Guidance (PDF)
Maximum grant awards were established using $700 per number of classrooms as applied for in the original application, unless otherwise decreased. Requests for filters only was funded in full. Districts may have been awarded more or less than their original request based on this calculation. Therefore the number and type of HEPA units or filters can shift from what was submitted in the original application, as long as they remain an eligible purchase as outlined in the grant agreement and reimbursement requests do not exceed the maximum grant award.
Eligible expenses include the items listed below if purchased on or after April 1, 2021.
- Portable HEPA filtration systems
- Replacement filters for portable HEPA filtration systems
- Units with ionizers are not eligible to be purchased with this grant
Considerations Prior to Purchase
Portable HEPA fans and filtration systems remove at least 99.97% of dust, pollen, mold, bacteria, and any airborne particles with a size of 0.3 microns (µm), but is not a complete solution to mitigating risk of disease transmission. These should be used in conjunction with other mitigation efforts, such as masking, social distancing, hand washing and improved building ventilation systems.
- Certification: Look for units with HEPA filters and ASHRAE certification
- Sizing: Ensure the unit(s) you purchase is adequate for the square footage of each classroom. Larger spaces may need more than one unit. Use the calculator below to help determine needs.
- Delivery Rate: Look for units with a clean air delivery rate of (CADR) 350-425 cubic feet per minute and AHAM verification
- Noise: Look for quieter versions for less classroom disruption, such as units with a radial intake of air
- Filter Replacement and Maintenance: Units include a filter that should be replaced and other maintenance may be required per the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Not Eligible: Units with ionizers are not eligible to be purchased with this grant
These tools are intended to simplify decision-making around portable air cleaners in schools for airborne transmission control.
- Harvard – CU Boulder Portable Air Cleaner Calculator for Schools
- Safe Air Spaces estimator based on volume, ventilation and student occupancy
For questions contact BestSchools@cde.state.co.us or 303-866-2153