You are here
2019 SAT Data and Results
2020 Colorado SAT Test Dates
Due to extensive school closures throughout Colorado to prevent the spread of COVID-19, CDE is working with The College Board to generate possible solutions for the administration of the SAT and PSAT tests, which offer unique roles in Colorado's system in terms of scholarships and college entrance. Additional information will be shared with superintendents and District Assessment Coordinators as it becomes available.
Why the SAT?
Colorado has given a college entrance exam each spring to all 11th graders enrolled in public schools since 2001. In 2015 the Colorado legislature passed House Bill 15-1323, requiring the state to competitively bid for a new 10th grade exam that is aligned to both the Colorado Academic Standards and an 11th grade college entrance exam. The legislation also added the opportunity for students to take an additional, optional essay as part of their college entrance exam at no cost to the student. The selection committee chose the PSAT for 10th graders and the SAT for the 11th grade college entrance exam because of their alignment to the high school Colorado Academic Standards and because the College Board’s reports and free test preparation services could be used by all students. For 2018, the PSAT 8/9 was added for students in grade 9. Students who choose to participate in services offered by The College Board will be connected to resources and activities designed to help identify next steps for extra support or possible acceleration.
The SAT is closely aligned to challenging classroom work of Colorado schools and focuses on the key skills and concepts that evidence shows matter most for college and career readiness, including:
- Mathematical concepts, skills, and practices important for success in career training programs.
- Reading, comprehending, and writing high-quality essays supported by evidence.
The SAT also serves as an admission test and is accepted by every college in the United States. At the time of testing, students can send their scores to up to four colleges for free. The SAT essay can also be taken as part of the Colorado school day SAT administration. The SAT essay is optional and voluntary and can be added at no cost to students.
Ninth graders attending public schools in Colorado began taking the PSAT 8/9 in the spring of 2018. Tenth graders began taking PSAT 10 in the spring 2016 and public school 11th graders began taking the SAT in spring, 2017. The CO PSAT and CO SAT will be given each spring for the following five years.
Who is eligible to take the SAT?
All students enrolled in eleventh grade at a Colorado public school.
The College Board has partnered with online education provider Khan Academy® to provide free online SAT practice to all students.
By creating a free Khan Academy student account, students are able to take eight official full-length SAT practice tests including two SAT with Essay practice tests, access thousands of practice questions, video lessons, and hints, and receive study and test-taking tips. In addition, students can personalize their SAT practice by taking eight diagnostic quizzes or seeing personalized practice recommendations based on the student’s PSAT results by linking their College Board and Khan Academy accounts.
Creating a College Board and/or Khan Academy account is optional and voluntary for students. The Colorado Department of Education strongly recommends that students and parents review and discuss the Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policies of these organizations prior to creating an online account.
Student Score Reports
SAT student score reports are typically available in early June by logging into the student score reporting portal. To access the score reporting portal, create a College Board student account, or if you already have one, just sign in.
Online student score reports give students an understanding beyond the numbers and provide a detailed breakdown of their performance. Score reports provide:
- Performance summaries for each section of the test
- Insight into strengths and weaknesses with results grouped by content area, skillset, and level of difficulty
- Percentiles to see how student results compare with those of other students like them
- Understanding Your Scores
- Get to Know the SAT
- Colorado SAT with Essay
- 2020 Colorado SAT and PSAT 10 Key Dates
- Spring 2020 Colorado PSAT and SAT Overview
- Understanding the College Board Accommodations Process
- Accessing SAT Assessment Results
- Colorado’s Accessibility and Accommodations Table
Supports for English Learners
- College Board-Approved Word-to-Word Glossaries for the SAT Suite of Assessments
- SAT Translated Test Directions (Select Resources in the Jump To menu and scroll down)
- Guidance for Administering the Colorado School Day PSAT and SAT to First Year in the U.S. English Learners
- College Board’s Student Data Policy - Link
- Spring 2019 CO SAT Student Optional Questionnaire Consent Form - PDF
- Colorado Consent Form for Accommodations Requests Submitted via SSD Online - PDF
- Spring 2019 CO SAT Student Answer Sheet Instructions - PDF
- SAT Suite of Assessments Technical Manual