Do you have good news to share? Please submit your story or resource to Tera Jones to keep our STEM community informed on what's happening in your local area, around the state, and nationally.
- Northrop Grumman, Colorado State University and Cherry Creek Schools Sponsor Area's First STEM/Cybersecurity Summer Camp
- St. Vrain Valley's STEM education filters down to youngest thinkers
- Four STEM in Action Programs Funded
Colorado is dedicated to ensuring that our students have the education and experiences to prepare them for success in college, career and life in an information-based economy. The Colorado Blueprint identified 14 key industry sectors for Colorado and further identified that 12 of them would require science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) skills and Colorado will see higher growth in STEM sector jobs than the national average. The Colorado Department of Education (CDE) is joined by key partners such as the Governor’s office and the Colorado Education Initiative in developing a strategic plan to ensure every student has access to the quality instruction and experiences they need to be successful in college, career and life, regardless of career choice.
To support this endeavor, CDE’s Race to the Top (RTTT) Office has awarded four STEM in Action grants. This grant program addresses one of the primary foci under the RTTT grant - increasing access to STEM education across the state. The program was informed by existing research that identified areas of need such as rural and underserved populations; the STEM in Action RFP focused on serving these populations through partnerships with industry and other education entities.
There were 29 applications submitted as part of this competitive grant program. Four proposals were selected.
- Keep with national STEM News using STEMbeats from Change the Equation
- GIS Connections to 21st Century Skills
- STEM Education a Prime Focus of Defense Department Grants