- What is the Colorado State Publications Library?
- What are state publications?
- Where can I find a list of publications?
- What if I want to purchase a publication?
- How can I borrow print publications?
- State Publications brochure - PDF
- Policies and Procedures
CoSPL was established by the General Assembly in 1980 as a part of the Colorado State Library in the Colorado Department of Education. The mission of the library is to provide Colorado residents with permanent public access to information produced by state government. Publications that are "born digital" are archived in COSPL's digital repository with links from the online catalog for easy public access. Publications that are only in print format are acquired, shelved in the library collection, and loaned to the public. As budget permits, most print publications will eventually be digitized and archived.
Print publications are distributed to affiliated Depository Libraries around the state if sufficient number of copies are received from the publishing state agency. Check the individual Depository Library catalog for holdings of specific publications.
CoSPL staff will answer questions regarding state publications and state information in general by calling 303-866-6725 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
State publications are valuable sources of information published in print and electronic formats by state agencies that include annual reports, budgets, planning reports, newsletters, consumer information, legislative reports, and directories. They cover a wide variety of topics including health, business, education, crime, agriculture, mining, employment, taxes, water quality, wildlife, and the environment.
The State Publications Library obtains publications from:
- State Agencies
- The General Assembly
- The Governor's Office
- The Supreme Court
- Boards and Commissions
- State Colleges and Universities
The library's collection of over 25,000 publication records cataloged by author, title, and subject can be searched through the following links:
- At the Colorado State Publications Library web site, click on "Connect to Pandora"
- At Prospectordo a single search of this unified catalog of academic, public, and special libraries including CoSPL
- At the Colorado Virtual Library do custom searches of academic, public, and special libraries in Colorado including CoSPL.
If you wish to purchase a print publication, contact the publishing state agency to inquire about availability and cost. Many publications are limited in quantity due to the high cost of print publishing. Also, check the agency web site for an electronic version by searching from the Official Colorado State web site at www.colorado.gov
There are several ways to borrow print state publications:
- Visit CoSPL during regular business hours and use a Colorado driver's license or photo ID to check out materials for three weeks at no charge.
- Contact your local public library and ask for assistance in borrowing publications from our library in Denver or one of the Depository Libraries located around the state.
- For out-of-Colorado borrowers, ask a local librarian about using the nationwide interlibrary loan service to borrow publications.
The State Publications Library is located in downtown Denver, Colorado, and is free and open to the public. Questions are answered via phone, walk-in, fax, or e-mail.
- Phone: 303-866-6725
- Fax: 303-866-6940
- Address: 201 E. Colfax, Room 314, Denver, Colorado 80203
- Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00am - 4:00 pm
Directions: The Colorado State Publications Library is located in the State Office Building at 201 East Colfax Avenue, Denver, CO 80203. The closest major cross-streets are East Colfax Avenue and Sherman Street. To park, use one of the off-street metered parking spaces or one of the paid lots available nearby. When you arrive, please come in through the front doors of the building and take the elevator to the 3rd floor. Our office is in Room 314.
For additional information e-mail: email@example.com