Colorado Academic Standards and Common Core Communications Toolkit
These communications tools are meant to be used by district leadership and principals when training their staff or community about academic standards. All resources are able to be modified and personalized to meet individual needs. Resources will be continually added to this page so make sure to check back often.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Parent-friendly brochure: This brochure is a brief introduction to the Colorado Academic Standards, which provide a grade-by-grade road map to help ensure students are successful in college, careers and life.
- Standards Guides for Grades K-12: These user-friendly guides to the K – 12 Colorado Academic Standards are available to help families and communities across Colorado better understand the goals and outcomes of the standards.
- Colorado Academic Standards Drop-in Article - This letter was prepared as a tool for school leaders to use to communicate with parents and families in their communities. School leaders are welcome to use the content of the letter in full or in part and may edit the letter as needed. To view all drop-in articles, click here.
- Sample PowerPoint - This PowerPoint includes an overview of standards and the development of the Colorado Academic Standards (including the Common Core State Standards). This customizable PowerPoint is great for a community or parent audience.
- Colorado Academic Standards: Tips and Messaging for Communicating with Parents and Businesses
- Colorado Academic Standards:History and Development
- Council of Great City Schools Video: This three-minute video explains how the Common Core State Standards will help students achieve at high levels and help them learn what they need to know to get to graduation and beyond.
- The Common Core State Standards: Insight into Their Development and Purpose: This publication provides a clear, concise, and accurate summary of the rationale and development process of the Common Core, along with a summary of the research base supporting the standards and evidence that the Common Core State Standards will prepare students for college and careers.
- Colorado’s Education Improvement Efforts “101” (PDF)
Colorado has a comprehensive education improvement agenda which over the past few years has been encoded into state law. This fact sheet provides an overview, implementation progress and next steps for Colorado's Achievement Plan for Kids (Senate Bill 08-212), the Education Accountability Act (Senate Bill 09-163) and the Great Teachers and Leaders Act (Senate Bill 10-191).
- Introduction to the Colorado Academic Standards (PDF)
The Colorado Academic Standards (CAS) are the expectations of what students need to know and be able to do at the end of each grade. They also stand as the values and content organizers of what Colorado sees as the future skills and essential knowledge for our next generation to be more successful. Read this fact sheet for an introduction to the CAS.
- Common Core English Language Arts Standards (PDF)
Colorado has updated academic standards in 10 content areas for preschool through 12th grade. The Colorado Academic Standards for reading, writing and communicating (English language arts) and for mathematics incorporate the Common Core State Standards. This fact sheet provides an overview of the Common Core English language arts standards.
- Common Core Mathematics Standards (PDF)
Colorado has updated academic standards in 10 content areas for preschool through 12th grade. The Colorado Academic Standards for reading, writing and communicating (English language arts) and for mathematics incorporate the Common Core State Standards. This fact sheet provides an overview of the Common Core mathematics standards.
- Transitioning to 21st Century Standards and Assessments (PDF)
Meaningful and relevant assessments work hand in hand with rigorous academic standards. Assessments provide ongoing measures of student learning at each grade level. The data from assessments is critical in determining if educational goals are being met and if students are on track to graduate prepared for college and career. The Colorado Academic Standards are the foundation for the state assessments in science, social studies, English language arts and mathematics.