The Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP) of the US Department of Education mandates the reporting of child progress data for preschool children funded through IDEA Part B – Section 619. Federal special education reporting to OSEP is tied to child progress made between entry to preschool special education and exit from preschool special education.
In order to meet this accountability requirement, teachers and administrators must follow specific records management procedures on their Results Matter assessment tools.
OSEP Requirements for Teaching Strategies GOLD® online Users:
- Fill out the IEP and Funding Source information:
- If you are a Teaching Strategies GOLD® online User: mark the IEP button “Yes”, then check “Preschool Special Education (Part B/Section 619 of IDEA)” funding source.
- Fill out the School District information (click here for more detailed information):
- If you are a Teaching Strategies GOLD® online User: choose the appropriate school district from the “School District” drop-down menu
- Follow the publisher’s process for tagging the appropriate assessment as the “Entry” assessment. The Part B Entry Date is the date of the IEP. If the staffing occurs in the spring or summer, but the child will not begin services until fall, use the beginning date of service as the date of entry.
- Follow your assessment system's OSEP exiting process (see links below) for any children who:
- are staffed out of preschool special education because they are no longer eligible
- are inactive because they stopped attending for 90 or more consecutive days (if the child returns after 90 days, treat this as a new entry into preschool special education)
- have moved to a different program, and you do not know when they will re-enroll or whether they will continue on an IEP
- transitioned to kindergarten (even if they will remain on an IEP in kindergarten)
- Archiving is an entirely separately process from OSEP exiting, and archiving may not be always be necessary in combination with an OSEP exit (e.g. if the child is staffed off an IEP but continues in your preschool program). Always perform the OSEP exit from the online system first before archiving.
- Children who exit preschool special education with fewer than six months of services are not eligible for an OSEP exit rating. Finalize any assessment data and archive the record.
Step by Step Guidance: Managing OSEP Exits in TS GOLD: