Submitting Requests for ASCENT Participation
Districts now have until February 1st, 2015 to submit a request for the number of ASCENT participants for the 2015/16 school year. This is a change from the September 1st deadline, which was updated during a past legislative session. Districts will then have until May 1st to submit an official affidavit with final ASCENT participant numbers for the 2015/16 school year, along with a list of participating students. After June 1st, districts will receive notification of the number of ASCENT slots that have been allocated to their district.
- Click here to submit survey for Feb 1st request (updated Dec 2014!)
- Official Affidavit Form for May 1st final submission (to be updated March 2015)
- Example of spreadsheet for List of Eligible Students for May1st final submission (to be updated March 2015)
- ASCENT Submission Webinar from 2014/15 - Watch Recording or download PPT
- Contact Michelle Camacho Liu at firstname.lastname@example.org or 303-866-6596 with any questions
Some important things to keep in mind to determine the number of slots you request:
- Who can request ASCENT slots?
- Student Eligibility
- ASCENT slots are not the same as headcount
- You are submitting your best estimate by Feb 1st and you have an opportunity to adjust
- Local Education Providers
- District Charter Schools*
- Institute Charter Schools
*CDE, on behalf of the Concurrent Enrollment Advisory Board, recommends that if a school district is participating in ASCENT, a district charter school within that district should request ASCENT slots with their authorizing district.
- Complete, or be on schedule to complete at least 12 credit hours (semester hours or equivalent) of transcripted postsecondary course work prior to the completion of his or her 12th grade year*;
- Not be in need of basic skills coursework in their selected pathway;
- Have been selected for participation in the ASCENT program by his or her high school principal or equivalent school administrator;
- Have satisfied the minimum prerequisites for the course(s) before his or her enrollment in the course(s), and;
- Have not participated in the ASCENT program in previous years
*Note: Does not include Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), College Level Education Program (CLEP), prior learning, or experiential courses, unless these courses/experiences have been converted to transcripted credits on a college transcript.
- 1 ASCENT slot = 1 full-time OR 2 part-time students
- Full-time = 12+ credit hours in fall semester
- Part-time = 3-11 credit hours in fall semester
- Home study students enrolled in ASCENT are only eligible for part-time funding
- Example: 4 students interested in ASCENT, 2 full-time and 2 part-time
- Request 3 ASCENT slots
- After submitting this request, you have until May 1st to submit an official affidavit with your final ASCENT participation request.
- At that time, you will also submit a list of specific students that will be utilizing the slots.
- CDE will have a webinar before May 1st to provide additional information for submitting your final numbers, affidavit, and student information.