Submitting Requests for ASCENT Participation
Districts now have until February 1st, 2015 to submit a request for the number of ASCENT participants for the 2015/16 school year. This is a change from the September 1st deadline, which was updated during a past legislative session. Districts will then have until May 1st to submit an official affidavit with final ASCENT participant numbers for the 2015/16 school year, along with a list of participating students. After June 1st, districts will receive notification of the number of ASCENT slots that have been allocated to their district.
- ASCENT Submission Webinar - Watch Recording or download PPT
- Contact Michelle Camacho Liu at email@example.com or 303-866-6596 with any questions
- Click here to submit survey for Feb 1st request (check back for update in Jan 2015)
- Official Affidavit Form for May 1st final submission (to be updated March 2015)
- Example of spreadsheet for List of Eligible Students for May1st final submission (to be updated March 2015)
Some important things to keep in mind to determine the number of slots you request:
- Who can request ASCENT slots?
- Student Eligibility
- ASCENT slots are not the same as headcount
- You are submitting your best estimate by Feb 1st and you have an opportunity to adjust
- Local Education Providers
- District Charter Schools*
- Institute Charter Schools
*CDE, on behalf of the Concurrent Enrollment Advisory Board, recommends that if a school district is participating in ASCENT, a district charter school within that district should request ASCENT slots with their authorizing district.
- Complete, or be on schedule to complete at least 12 credit hours (semester hours or equivalent) of transcripted postsecondary course work prior to the completion of his or her 12th grade year*;
- Not be in need of basic skills coursework in their selected pathway;
- Have been selected for participation in the ASCENT program by his or her high school principal or equivalent school administrator;
- Have satisfied the minimum prerequisites for the course(s) before his or her enrollment in the course(s), and;
- Have not participated in the ASCENT program in previous years
*Note: International Baccalaureate (IB), College Level Education Program (CLEP), and Advanced Placement (AP) courses do not count towards postsecondary course work.
- 1 ASCENT slot = 1 full-time OR 2 part-time students
- Full-time = 12+ credit hours in fall semester
- Part-time = 3-11 credit hours in fall semester
- Home study students enrolled in ASCENT are only eligible for part-time funding
- Example: 4 students interested in ASCENT, 2 full-time and 2 part-time
- Request 3 ASCENT slots
- After submitting this request, you have until May 1st to submit an official affidavit with your final ASCENT participation request.
- At that time, you will also submit a list of specific students that will be utilizing the slots.
- CDE will have a webinar before May 1st to provide additional information for submitting your final numbers, affidavit, and student information.